Forced Commutation Clarrification

• Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutation
In summary: So, in summary, the provided circuit contains a thyristor T1 that is fired at a certain angle and then conducts, charging the capacitor until plate A reaches the potential of the source. When thyristor T3 is turned on, it creates a path for the current to discharge through T3, resulting in a resonant oscillation. Once the capacitor is fully reversed, D2 becomes forward biased and T1 is turned off. The capacitor then discharges through D1 and recharges from the load. The current remains in the free-wheeling diode until the capacitor reaches the potential of the source. In regards to charging a battery in rectifying circuits, power is calculated using the average current as the voltage is constant and the power
sandy.bridge
Hey all,

I am merely looking for clarrification as to what happens with the circuit that I have provided an image of. Please assume all elements are ideal (for simplicity). I come here for assurance as I cannot seem to find it anywhere else. Thanks in advance!

Thyristor T1 is fired at some angle and then it begins to conduct. The capacitor begins to charge until plate A in the schematic reaches the sources potential. If thyristor T3 is then turned on at this point, it provides a path for the current to discharge through T3. The current is a resonant oscillation through T3. Once the voltage across the capacitor has become fully reversed, D2 is forward biased. Once the forward current through T1 is less than the current through D2, T1 is such off. The capacitor is then allowed to discharge through D1, and then recharge from the load. Once the capacitor attains the potential of the source, it no longer conducts a current, and all of the current as an entirety remains in the free-wheeling diode.

Thanks again for any clarrifications.

Attachments

• resonant.JPG
    resonant.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 395
Engineering news on Phys.org
No one can verify if my perception of this circuit is skewed?

sandy.bridge said:
Thyristor T1 is fired at some angle and then it begins to conduct. The capacitor begins to charge until plate A in the schematic reaches the sources potential. If thyristor T3 is then turned on at this point, it provides a path for the current to discharge through T3. The current is a resonant oscillation through T3. Once the voltage across the capacitor has become fully reversed, D2 is forward biased. Once the forward current through T1 is less than the current through D2, T1 is such off. The capacitor is then allowed to discharge through D1, and then recharge from the load. Once the capacitor attains the potential of the source, it no longer conducts a current, and all of the current as an entirety remains in the free-wheeling diode.

Thanks again for any clarrifications.
It sounds feasible. Component values and timing of the thyristor switching will be important.

Much appreciated! I was a little unsure about the resonant oscillation passing through T3 when it was turned on.

EDIT:

Perhaps I could have another questioned answered concerning the charging of a battery in rectifying circuits. If there is a resistor and inductor in series with a battery to he charged, why is the power transferred to the battery calculated with the average current through it, rather than the rms?

Last edited:
sandy.bridge said:
Perhaps I could have another questioned answered concerning the charging of a battery in rectifying circuits. If there is a resistor and inductor in series with a battery to he charged, why is the power transferred to the battery calculated with the average current through it, rather than the rms?
The chemical activity going on in an electrochemical cell is proportional to the number of electrons entering the cell.

Nowhere in that statement can you divine a term (number of electrons)2.

RMS involves something squared, and there is nothing squared in the reactions that account for the recharging in the cell.

The squared term is evident in heating by a current, power = I2.R
so that's why RMS is involved in heating applications of electricity.

sandy.bridge said:
Much appreciated! I was a little unsure about the resonant oscillation passing through T3 when it was turned on.

EDIT:

The Power is the Current times the Volts. The Volts are constant (ideal battery) so the Power constant and is proportional to the Current.
I2R is another way of calculating Power dissipated in a resistor but that's when both current and resistance are varying (AC) - a different situation. The RMS value of current represents the equivalent (DC) current that would be flowing which would dissipate the same mean power.

The RMS value of an unvarying current is also the same as the DC value.

Related to Forced Commutation Clarrification

1. What is forced commutation in electronics?

Forced commutation is a technique used in electronic circuits to turn off a semiconductor switch, such as a diode or thyristor, by applying a reverse voltage or current. This allows for controlled switching and ensures that the switch is turned off quickly and efficiently.

2. How does forced commutation work?

In forced commutation, a reverse voltage or current is applied to the semiconductor switch, which creates an opposite polarity to the current flowing through the device. This causes the switch to turn off and interrupts the current flow in the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of forced commutation?

Forced commutation allows for controlled switching, which reduces the switching losses and improves the efficiency of the circuit. It also allows for faster switching speeds and better control over the current flow in the circuit.

4. What are the different methods of forced commutation?

The three main methods of forced commutation are: capacitive commutation, inductive commutation, and resonant commutation. Each method uses different components and techniques to generate the reverse voltage or current needed to turn off the semiconductor switch.

5. What are some applications of forced commutation?

Forced commutation is commonly used in power electronics, such as in AC-DC converters, DC-DC converters, and inverters. It is also used in motor control circuits, where fast switching is necessary for precise control of the motor's speed and direction.