Force required to move a vehicle

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a three-wheeled cycle that weighs 300Kg and moves at a speed of 20Kmph. The driving force will be provided by pedaling and the required pedal force is calculated using a formula that takes into account the acceleration, rolling frictional force, and wheel torque. The conversation also suggests considering inertia, grade, and using a simulation tool for more accurate calculations.
pawansrao
Am designing a three wheeled cycle. The total gross weight of my vehicle including the frame + riders will be around 300Kg, which has to move at 20Kmph(5.55 m/s) speed . The basic driving force will be provided by pedaling.

Assuming the least acceleration to start from rest as 0.2m/s^2, how should i calculate the pedal force required?

I started with this approach -
Step 1: Acceleration = 0.2m/s^2
Step 2: Total force required = Rolling Frictional force + Accelerating Force
= 0.005*300*9.81 + 300*0.2 = 74.7 N
Step 3: Wheel Torque = Force X Wheel radius = 74.7*0.3 = 22Nm.
Step 4: Assuming no Gearing between wheel and pedal, Pedal Torque = Pedal force*Radius of pedal
So i get pedal force = 22 / (0.18) = 122 N

I my method/approach correct ?

Here I have used just the linear velocity and acceleration, since am dealing with pedals and wheels should I deal with the rotational velocity and acceleration?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you should add:

inertia
grade (if any intended)

You can use this acceleration simulator (it is made for an engine-powered vehicle but all the basic equations apply to pedal-powered vehicle as well).

All the forces you need to know are described at the bottom of the page in the section Theory»»Longitudinal acceleration»»Accelerating

Related to Force required to move a vehicle

1. How is the force required to move a vehicle calculated?

The force required to move a vehicle is calculated by multiplying the vehicle's mass by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma).

2. What factors affect the force required to move a vehicle?

The force required to move a vehicle can be affected by various factors such as the vehicle's weight, the type of terrain it is moving on, the incline of the terrain, and the vehicle's aerodynamics. Other factors like air resistance, rolling resistance, and friction also play a role in determining the force required.

3. How does the force required to move a vehicle change with speed?

The force required to move a vehicle increases with speed. This is due to the increase in air resistance as the vehicle moves faster. At higher speeds, the force required to overcome air resistance becomes greater, making it more difficult to move the vehicle.

4. Is the force required to move a vehicle the same for all types of vehicles?

No, the force required to move a vehicle can vary depending on the type of vehicle. Factors such as the vehicle's weight, shape, and size can affect the amount of force needed to move it. For example, a larger and heavier vehicle will require more force to move than a smaller and lighter vehicle.

5. How can the force required to move a vehicle be reduced?

The force required to move a vehicle can be reduced by making the vehicle more aerodynamic, reducing its weight, and using smoother tires with lower rolling resistance. Regular maintenance and proper inflation of tires can also help reduce the force required to move a vehicle. Additionally, driving techniques like coasting, avoiding sudden accelerations and braking, and maintaining a steady speed can also contribute to reducing the force needed to move a vehicle.