Force on Ice Skater's Hand: Calculate & Express as a Multiple of Hand Weight

In summary, the question asks for the horizontal force that the ice skater's wrist must exert on her hand as she spins at 2.50 turns per second with her arms outstretched. Using the formula F=m*r*ω^2, we can calculate this to be 125N. Part B asks for this force to be expressed as a multiple of the weight of her hand, which would be a dimensionless number obtained by dividing the force by the weight on the hand. This type of assistance, such as provided by Homework Helpers, is helpful for online students who may not have direct access to their professors for quick answers to their questions.
Abarak
Question
A 54.0kg ice skater spins about a vertical axis through her body with her arms horizontally outstretched, making 2.50 turns each second. The distance from one hand to the other is 1.5m. Biometric measurements indicate that each hand typically makes up about 1.25% of body weight.

Hand breakdown:
m = .675kg
r = .75m
[tex]\omega = 2.50\frac{rev}{s} = 15.707\frac{rad}{s}[/tex]
F = 125N

Part A:
What horizontal force must her wrist exert on her hand?
I figured this one out by using [tex]F=m*r*\omega^2[/tex]

Part B:
Express the force in part (a) as a multiple of the weight of her hand.

My Problem:
I am getting confused with "as a multiple". Pardon my lack of knowledge but I have no idea what they are asking for? I know the answer box is looking for a unit of weight (w).

Sorry about the "easy" question and thank you for taking time in reading my post.

-- Abarak

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just want to divide the force on the hand by mg. Which would be the weight on the hand. A multiple of weight would not be a weight, but a dimensionless number.

Hey Dick,

Thanks for the help. I was able to get the correct answer.

Man, I could never do what you Homework Helper's do but it REALLY helps!

I am taking an online physics class right now and not having someone to talk to really sucks. If I need to ask my professor a question it takes days to get a response while I can get one here within hours or minutes.

-- Abarak

Related to Force on Ice Skater's Hand: Calculate & Express as a Multiple of Hand Weight

What is the force on an ice skater's hand when gliding on ice?

The force on an ice skater's hand when gliding on ice is equal to their weight multiplied by the coefficient of friction between the ice and the skater's hand.

How do I calculate the force on an ice skater's hand?

To calculate the force on an ice skater's hand, you will need to know the skater's weight and the coefficient of friction between the ice and the skater's hand. The formula is force = weight x coefficient of friction.

Can the force on an ice skater's hand be expressed as a multiple of their hand weight?

Yes, the force on an ice skater's hand can be expressed as a multiple of their hand weight. This is because the force is directly proportional to the weight of the skater. For example, if the force on the hand is twice the weight of the skater's hand, it can be expressed as 2 times the hand weight.

What factors can affect the force on an ice skater's hand?

The force on an ice skater's hand can be affected by several factors, including the skater's weight, the coefficient of friction between the ice and the hand, the speed of the skater, and the smoothness of the ice surface.

How does the force on an ice skater's hand impact their performance?

The force on an ice skater's hand can impact their performance in various ways. If the force is too great, it can cause the skater to lose balance and fall. It can also affect the speed and control of their movements on the ice. Therefore, it is essential for skaters to understand and manage the force on their hands to optimize their performance.