Force on conductor in magnetic field

In summary: Now you just need to integrate J over the length of the conductor.In summary, the homework equation states that the electric field caused by the velocity of charged particles is equal to the magnetic field. The attempt at a solution states that the electric field caused by the velocity of charged particles is equal to the magnetic field multiplied by the current.
Suyash Singh

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-14_20-34-17.png

Homework Equations

Emf=B l V V is (velocity)
F=QVB

The Attempt at a Solution

Emf=BLV
Work=QBLV
Force=BLV
how come V=Q/m. its not possible or is it?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-14_20-34-17.png
    upload_2018-4-14_20-34-17.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 753
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a Faraday's law question. You need to calculate the impulse F dt given to the conductor and set it equal to its momentum change.

kuruman said:
This is not a Faraday's law question. You need to calculate the impulse F dt given to the conductor and set it equal to its momentum change.
mv=integral(fdt)

but why is force in my book given as b l i (i is current)

kuruman said:
and the force i was giving before is it the force on each charged particle?

Suyash Singh said:
but why is force in my book given as b l i (i is current)
Because a segment of wire of length ##\vec L## carrying current ##I## in a magnetic field ##\vec B## experiences a force ##\vec F=I\vec L \times \vec B##.
You don't need an integral for the impulse. Assume that the force is constant while it lasts in which case the impulse is J = F Δt.

kuruman said:
Because a segment of wire of length ##\vec L## carrying current ##I## in a magnetic field ##\vec B## experiences a force ##\vec F=I\vec L \times \vec B##.
You don't need an integral for the impulse. Assume that the force is constant while it lasts in which case the impulse is J = F Δt.
ohhhh ok. i already knew that formula it was written differently so i couldn't recognise it.
thankyou.
mv = ILBsin(90 degree) Δt (force x time change)
=ILBΔt

now since Ixt=Q
v=QLB/m :)

That's it.

Likes Suyash Singh

Related to Force on conductor in magnetic field

What is the force on a conductor in a magnetic field?

The force on a conductor in a magnetic field is known as the Lorentz force, and it is equal to the product of the current in the conductor, the length of the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the sine of the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

How does the direction of the force on a conductor in a magnetic field change?

The direction of the force on a conductor in a magnetic field follows the right-hand rule, where the direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

What factors affect the force on a conductor in a magnetic field?

The force on a conductor in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current running through the conductor, the length of the conductor, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

Can the force on a conductor in a magnetic field be used to do work?

Yes, the force on a conductor in a magnetic field can be used to do work, as it can cause the conductor to move in the direction of the force and perform mechanical work.

What is the application of the force on a conductor in a magnetic field?

The force on a conductor in a magnetic field has many applications, including electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in many everyday devices such as speakers, headphones, and MRI machines.