Force on 2 wires near each other with current

In summary, two parallel wires with a distance of 0.08m, length of 0.4m, and current of 3.7A each exert a force on each other. The force can be calculated using the equation F = B*I*L, where B is the magnetic field and is found using B = u*I*L/(2*PI*R). The correct answer for the force is 13.69N, but the approximation used in the solution may not be accurate for very long wires.
D.B0004

Homework Statement

Two wires are placed parallel near each other in free space at a distance of d=0.08m. They have a length of L=0.4m and each carry a current of i=3.7A (in the same direction.) Find the force exerted on each other. Consider attraction as positive force and repulsion as a negative force.

Homework Equations

F = B*I*L
B= = u*Hs = (u*I/(2*PI*R))*I*L

The Attempt at a Solution

4*PI*10^-7*3.7/(2*PI*.04)*3.7*.4 = 27.38uN
The correct answer is apparently 13.69N. Anyone see where I am going wrong? Is my B equation incorrect? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
D.B0004 said:
B= = u*Hs = (u*I/(2*PI*R))*I*L
I don't understand what you calculated here.
And I wonder how you got units of tesla out of that calculation (a good check to see if everything went right).

A different issue: the approximation of very long cables (compared to R) you used might not be a good one.

Related to Force on 2 wires near each other with current

1. What is the force between two wires with current?

The force between two wires with current is caused by the interaction between the magnetic fields created by the flowing current in each wire. When two wires are placed near each other, their magnetic fields will either attract or repel each other depending on the direction of the current.

2. How is the force between two wires with current calculated?

The force between two wires with current can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 x I1 x I2 x L) / (2π x d) where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in each wire, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

3. Does the current direction affect the force between two wires?

Yes, the direction of the current in each wire does affect the force between them. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the wires will attract each other. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the wires will repel each other.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the force?

The force between two wires with current is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Can the force between two wires with current be used for practical applications?

Yes, the force between two wires with current has practical applications in various devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. By manipulating the distance and direction of the wires, the force can be used to create motion or generate electricity.