Force of air resistance in wind tunnel

In summary, Cyrusabdollahi is trying to make a wind tunnel using a 20" fan to study air movement. He wants to make the size of the tunnel shrink to help induce more velocity in the air. He needs to measure the force, density, and velocity to find the drag coefficient. He also needs to measure the air flow or velocity by using a Pitot tube or by using straws to stabilize the air.
hover

Homework Statement

I am working on making a small wind tunnel using a 20" fan. What i want to figure out is the force generated by the movement of air. I want to make the size of the tunnel shrink to help induce more velocity in the air (see picture).

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation-
p1*v1=p2*v2

p being the air pressure in the tube
v being the air velocity in the tube

air friction equation (from http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html" )-
F=(-1/2)*C*p*A*v^2

F= force
C=numerical drag coefficient
p=density
A=area
v=velocity

Newtons second law(duh..)-
F=ma

F=force
m=mass
a-acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation that will help the most with this is the second equation- F=(-1/2)*C*p*A*v^2

F= force
p=density
A=area
v=velocity

First off, HyperPhysics doesn't tell me any of the units for F, C, p, A and v. Second, what is the numerical drag coefficient? Since this is a fan moving air at a distance, I'm going to suspect that there will be some inverse square law to add to this equation. Not to mention that because the shape of the tube narrows down, it will likely alter the equation.

Thanks for helping out

Attachments

• wind tunnel.GIF
    wind tunnel.GIF
    2.9 KB · Views: 515
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
F= force
p=density
A=area
v=velocity

Well what does one expect the units of velocity, area, density and force to be? Pick SI / MKS units, e.g. velocity in m/s, area in m2, . . .

then C must have units of Force/(density*area*velocity2).

Basically one must measure F, p, A and v to find C.

Astronuc said:
F= force
p=density
A=area
v=velocity

Well what does one expect the units of velocity, area, density and force to be? Pick SI / MKS units, e.g. velocity in m/s, area in m2, . . .

then C must have units of Force/(density*area*velocity2).

Basically one must measure F, p, A and v to find C.

Well that's pointless then. I have no way to measure the velocity, force or the numerical drag coefficient. How can i find out the force effectively?

In a wind tunnel, one could attach a spring (with a know spring constant) to the object being tested and the measure the deflection of the spring in tension or compression depending on whether the object is pulling or pushing the spring. Or one could use a spring scale.

Air (gas) flow or velocity could be measure by a Pitot tube - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube

Density should be available from tables, one is probably starting with air at atmospheric pressure. I don't think the pressure in the smaller section will be much greater than 1 atm, but rather the air velocity will increase.

Continuity of mass applies here, and I expect there will be little compression of the air, especially at low air speeds.

Astronuc said:
In a wind tunnel, one could attach a spring (with a know spring constant) to the object being tested and the measure the deflection of the spring in tension or compression depending on whether the object is pulling or pushing the spring. Or one could use a spring scale.

Air (gas) flow or velocity could be measure by a Pitot tube - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube

Density should be available from tables, one is probably starting with air at atmospheric pressure. I don't think the pressure in the smaller section will be much greater than 1 atm, but rather the air velocity will increase.

Continuity of mass applies here, and I expect there will be little compression of the air, especially at low air speeds.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I, particularly, like the idea of measuring the force using a spring.

I just need to know one more thing. Since I'm using a fan, the air will be turning and twisting a lot, due to the way the fan pushes the air. I need some way to straighten out the air so it flows smoothly (or more smoothly). If i can remember correctly, I think that one episode of Mythbusters, they made a wind tunnel and used a bunch of straws to help stabilize the air. They used a ton of straws:rolleyes:. I suppose i could too, but are there any other alternatives i could use to help stabilize the air in my wind tunnel?

hover said:
I just need to know one more thing. Since I'm using a fan, the air will be turning and twisting a lot, due to the way the fan pushes the air. I need some way to straighten out the air so it flows smoothly (or more smoothly). If i can remember correctly, I think that one episode of Mythbusters, they made a wind tunnel and used a bunch of straws to help stabilize the air. They used a ton of straws:rolleyes:. I suppose i could too, but are there any other alternatives i could use to help stabilize the air in my wind tunnel?
Most wind tunnels use a set of foils to 'straighten' the flow, but there is some pressure drop associated with that.

Cyrusabdollahi built a wind tunnel.

Last edited:

Related to Force of air resistance in wind tunnel

What is the purpose of a wind tunnel in studying air resistance?

A wind tunnel is a scientific tool used to simulate and measure air resistance, also known as aerodynamic drag. It is used to study the effects of air resistance on different objects, such as vehicles, airplanes, and buildings, in a controlled environment.

How is air resistance measured in a wind tunnel?

Air resistance in a wind tunnel is measured using a force balance system. This system consists of a sensitive scale that measures the force exerted on a test object by the air flowing in the tunnel. The data collected can then be used to calculate the drag force and other aerodynamic properties of the object.

What factors affect the force of air resistance in a wind tunnel?

The force of air resistance in a wind tunnel is affected by several factors such as the speed of the air, the shape and size of the object being tested, the density of the air, and the roughness of the surface of the object. These factors can be adjusted in a wind tunnel to simulate different real-life conditions.

How does air resistance impact the design of vehicles and structures?

Air resistance plays a crucial role in the design of vehicles and structures, especially those that move through air, such as airplanes, cars, and bridges. By studying air resistance in a wind tunnel, engineers and scientists can optimize the shape and size of these objects to reduce drag and improve their performance and efficiency.

Can air resistance be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to eliminate air resistance completely. However, it can be reduced by using aerodynamic designs and materials, such as streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces, which can significantly decrease drag. By studying air resistance in a wind tunnel, researchers can find ways to minimize its effects on different objects.