Force exerted normal to the plate

In summary: Check your arithmetic again.In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the normal force exerted on a stationary flat plate when a jet of water with specific diameter and velocity strikes it at a 25 degree angle. The equation used to calculate the normal force is F = ρA(v)(v cos theta), and the resulting answer is 268.8N. The person asking for confirmation of their answer is advised to double check their arithmetic.
foo9008

Homework Statement

A jet of water , 50mm diameter , with a velocity of 18m/s , strikes a flat plate inclined at 25 degree to the axis of jet as shown in figure, Determine the normal force , P exerted on the plate when plate is stationary .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

6ffCbqU.jpg

in the diagram attached , i found that the angle between the water velocity make an angle of 65 degree to the normal of the plate ,
so my ans is F = ρA(v)(v cos theta) = 1000(pi)( [(50x10^-3) / 2 ] ^2 ) (18^2)(cos 65) = 278.7 N , is my working correct ? i don't have the ans

Attachments

• l4.png
    l4.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

A jet of water , 50mm diameter , with a velocity of 18m/s , strikes a flat plate inclined at 25 degree to the axis of jet as shown in figure, Determine the normal force , P exerted on the plate when plate is stationary .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

6ffCbqU.jpg

in the diagram attached , i found that the angle between the water velocity make an angle of 65 degree to the normal of the plate ,
so my ans is F = ρA(v)(v cos theta) = 1000(pi)( [(50x10^-3) / 2 ] ^2 ) (18^2)(cos 65) = 278.7 N , is my working correct ? i don't have the ans
Your algebraic expression looks right but I don't get same answer (about 4% less). Check your arithmetic.

haruspex said:
Your algebraic expression looks right but I don't get same answer (about 4% less). Check your arithmetic.
my ans is 268.8N

foo9008 said:
my ans is 268.8N
That is what I get.

Related to Force exerted normal to the plate

1. What is the definition of force exerted normal to the plate?

The force exerted normal to the plate, also known as the normal force, is the perpendicular force that a surface applies on an object in contact with it. It is a reactive force that acts in the opposite direction to the force applied by the object on the surface.

2. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s². This gives us the weight of the object, which is equal and opposite to the normal force exerted by the surface.

3. Does the normal force always act perpendicular to the surface?

Yes, by definition, the normal force acts in a direction perpendicular to the surface. This means that it is always at a 90-degree angle to the surface, regardless of the angle at which the object is placed on the surface.

4. How does the normal force affect an object on a slope?

If an object is on a slope, the normal force will act in a direction perpendicular to the slope. This means that the normal force will have a component that acts against the force of gravity, effectively reducing the weight of the object on the slope.

5. Can the normal force be greater than the weight of the object?

It is possible for the normal force to be greater than the weight of the object in certain situations, such as when an object is accelerating upwards or when it is on a surface with a significant angle of incline. However, in most cases, the normal force will be equal and opposite to the weight of the object.