Calculating the Normal Force on an Inclined Flat Plate Struck by a Jet of Water

In summary, the problem presents a jet of water with a velocity of 50m/s striking a flat plate inclined at 30 degrees to the jet. The question asks to find the force normal to the surface of the jet. The formula given is rho(A)(v^2)cos theta, where theta is the velocity normal to the plate and the pipe. There is confusion about whether the angle of 30 degrees is in relation to the horizontal or vertical axis. However, it is concluded that the normal to the plate is at 60 degrees to the path of the jet, making theta=60 degrees.
foo9008

Homework Statement

the figure showed a jet of water , with velocity 50m/s strikes the flat plate , which is inclined 30 degree to the jet . Find the force normal to the surface of jet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my question is the flat plate is 30 degree to the horizontal axis ? or vertical axis ? I'm consfuing [/B]

Attachments

• DSC_0596[1].JPG
    DSC_0596[1].JPG
    22 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:
my question is the flat plate is 30 degree to the horizontal axis ? or vertical axis ?
It doesn't matter. It is only asking about the force resulting from the deflection of the stream of water. Which way gravity acts is of no consequence.

haruspex said:
It doesn't matter. It is only asking about the force resulting from the deflection of the stream of water. Which way gravity acts is of no consequence.
My ans would be different, the formula given is rho(A)(v^2)cos theta , where theta is the velocity normal to the plate , if the angle 30 is from horizontal axis, then my theta would be 60, am I right??

Here

Attachments

• DSC_0597.JPG
    DSC_0597.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 377
foo9008 said:
My ans would be different, the formula given is rho(A)(v^2)cos theta , where theta is the velocity normal to the plate and the pipe, if the angle 30 is from horizontal axis, then my theta would be 60, am I right??
Oh, you only meant vertical and horizontal with respect to the way you drew the diagram.
So what you are really asking is what does it mean to say the plate is at 30 degrees to the jet. I agree it's not crystal clear, but I would take it to mean that the normal to the plate is at 60 degrees to the path of the jet.

haruspex said:
Oh, you only meant vertical and horizontal with respect to the way you drew the diagram.
So what you are really asking is what does it mean to say the plate is at 30 degrees to the jet. I agree it's not crystal clear, but I would take it to mean that the normal to the plate is at 60 degrees to the path of the jet.
So my idea that theta=60 is correct?

foo9008 said:
So my idea that theta=60 is correct?
As in your second attachment, yes.

Likes foo9008

Related to Calculating the Normal Force on an Inclined Flat Plate Struck by a Jet of Water

1. What is force normal to a plate?

Force normal to a plate is the perpendicular force acting on a surface or object. In the context of a plate, it is the force acting perpendicularly on the surface of the plate.

2. How is force normal to a plate different from other types of forces?

Unlike other types of forces, such as weight or tension, force normal to a plate is always directed perpendicularly to the surface of the plate. This means that it is not affected by the angle or orientation of the plate.

3. What causes force normal to a plate?

Force normal to a plate is caused by the contact between the plate and another object or surface. It is the reaction force that occurs when an object or surface presses against the plate.

4. How is force normal to a plate calculated?

The force normal to a plate can be calculated using the formula F = P * A, where F is the normal force, P is the pressure exerted on the plate, and A is the area of the plate in contact with the object or surface.

5. Why is understanding force normal to a plate important in science?

Understanding force normal to a plate is important in science because it is a fundamental concept in mechanics and is crucial in analyzing the behavior of objects and structures in contact with each other. It is also important in engineering and designing structures to withstand different types of forces, including force normal to a plate.