Force exerted by a stick on its axle?

• Thread starter EstimatedEyes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axle Force
In summary, a 8.6 kg stick of uniform density, with length 0.7 m, is pivoted about an axle located 0.24 m from one end. When the stick is in the vertical position, the angular velocity is 6.38 rad/s and the center of mass is 0.11 m below the axis of rotation. The centripetal force, calculated by multiplying the speed of the center of mass by the radius and adding it to the force of gravity, is incorrect. The correct method is to use the formula mv^2/r. It is recommended to double check the calculations to find the error.
EstimatedEyes

Homework Statement

A stick of uniform density with mass M = 8.6 kg and length L = 0.7 m is pivoted about an axle which is perpendicular to its length and located 0.24 m from one end. Ignore any friction between the stick and the axle. What is the magnitude of the vertical component of the force exerted by the stick on the axle when the stick passes through the vertical?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already correctly calculated that the angular velocity when it is in the vertical position is 6.38 rad/s and that the center of mass is .11m below the axis of rotation when it is in the vertical position. From this I calculated v of the center of mass by multiplying the angular velocity to the radius. Once I got this answer I calculated the centripetal force by v^2/r and then added it to mg. This answer is not right, but I don't know where I went wrong. I'm sure it's something really simple. Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The (net) centripetal force is mv2/r. Assuming that you did not forget to multiply by the mass, your method is correct. Redo the numbers - you may have forgotten to, say, square the speed.

I would first like to commend you on your efforts to solve this problem and for seeking help when you encountered difficulties. This shows a great attitude towards problem-solving and a willingness to learn.

Now, moving on to the problem, it seems like you have correctly calculated the angular velocity and the position of the center of mass when the stick is in the vertical position. However, your approach to calculating the force exerted by the stick on the axle may not be entirely correct.

The force exerted by the stick on the axle can be broken down into two components- the radial force and the tangential force. The radial force is the component that acts towards the center of rotation and is responsible for keeping the stick in a circular motion. This is the force that you have calculated using the formula v^2/r.

However, the tangential force is the component that acts perpendicular to the radial force and is responsible for changing the direction of the stick's motion. This force is equal to the product of the mass, the linear velocity, and the angular velocity of the stick. In this case, the linear velocity of the center of mass is equal to the tangential velocity, which you have already calculated.

Therefore, to find the total force exerted by the stick on the axle, you need to add the radial force and the tangential force together. This will give you the correct value for the magnitude of the vertical component of the force exerted by the stick on the axle.

I hope this helps you in finding the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

Related to Force exerted by a stick on its axle?

1. How does the length of the stick affect the force exerted on its axle?

The length of the stick has a direct impact on the force exerted on its axle. The longer the stick, the greater the lever arm and the more torque is produced, resulting in a greater force exerted on the axle.

2. Does the weight of the stick affect the force exerted on its axle?

Yes, the weight of the stick can affect the force exerted on its axle. A heavier stick will require more force to move or rotate, while a lighter stick will require less force.

3. How does the angle of the stick affect the force exerted on its axle?

The angle of the stick can affect the force exerted on its axle in two ways. First, a steeper angle will result in a longer lever arm, increasing the torque and force exerted. Second, the angle also affects the direction of the force, as a stick at a 90-degree angle will exert a greater force than a stick at a 45-degree angle.

4. Can the material of the stick impact the force exerted on its axle?

Yes, the material of the stick can impact the force exerted on its axle. A stiffer and stronger material will be able to exert a greater force on the axle compared to a more flexible or weaker material.

5. How does the placement of the stick on the axle affect the force exerted?

The placement of the stick on the axle can have a significant impact on the force exerted. If the stick is placed closer to the axle, it will require less force to move or rotate compared to a stick placed further away. This is because the shorter lever arm results in less torque and force exerted on the axle.