Force due changing magnetic field

In summary, the electric field in a time-varying magnetic field is non-conservative and depends on the path taken.
WubbaLubba Dubdub

Homework Statement

Uniform magnetic field ##= Bt## exist in cylindrical region of radius ##R## is pointing into the plane of figure (as shown in figure). A frictionless groove of length ##L## is fixed symmetrically from the centre O at a distance of ##\frac{L}{2}## .A charged particle of mass m and charge q is at rest at end B at ##t =0##. Neglect gravity and assume the particle just fits in the groove. Velocity of the particle at the end A is
phy forums.JPG

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

Time varying magnetic field will generate an induced emf and hence an electric field. A component of this field will accelerate the particle. Now I have the potential as ##\pi r^2B## where ##r## is the distance from the origin. Now I am having difficulties calculating the electric field. What would be it's direction? Would it be in a concentric circle like induced current? If so, would differentiating w.r.t. r be correct?(since r would not change as potential changes).

Physics news on Phys.org
WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
Would it be in a concentric circle like induced current?
Sounds right to me. Can you figure out the potential between the two ends of the groove?

haruspex said:
Sounds right to me. Can you figure out the potential between the two ends of the groove?
I don't really understand between which points exactly is the potential difference ##-\frac{d\phi}{dt}##. I can only think of it as the potential difference between the point and it's rotation by ##2\pi## radians, which seems nonsensical. But thinking about it this way I find that since the two points are at ##\frac{1}{4}## th rotation of a circle, the potential difference is ##\frac{1}{4} \pi Br^2## where ##r## is ##\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}##.

WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
Now I have the potential as ##\pi r^2B## where ##r## is the distance from the origin.
What do you mean by this statement? The induced electric field is non-conservative, so you don't have a potential so to speak. What you can calculate is the potential difference between two points along some path ##C##:
$$\Delta V = -\int_C \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}$$

vela said:
The induced electric field is non-conservative
yes, that dawned on me in the middle of the night. The only way is to integrate the force / field along the groove.

vela said:
What do you mean by this statement? The induced electric field is non-conservative, so you don't have a potential so to speak. What you can calculate is the potential difference between two points along some path ##C##:
$$\Delta V = -\int_C \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}$$
So ##\pi r^2 B ## is the potential difference when ##E## is integrated along a circular path. Assuming magnitude of E to be constant along the circular path ##2\pi r## times ##E## is ##\pi r^2 B##. So ##E## is ##\frac{r}{2}B##. Since you mentioned that the induced field is non-conservative, I guess the path does matter? So the potential difference between the two ends of the groove is
$$\Delta V = -\int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} B\frac{L}{4} \sec(\phi) \cos(\phi) d\phi $$
Here I have written r in terms of ##\phi## which is the angle between the perpendicular bisector of the groove and the position vector. Only the ##\cos(\phi)## component of the Field is taken.
phy forums upload.png

From this ##\Delta V## is ##-\frac{\pi}{8}BL## which is very similar to the pot. difference I got in post#3 but seems dimensionally incorrect :frown:Also sorry for the late reply

WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
ΔV is ##-\frac{\pi}{8}BL##
I did not follow how you set up that integral.
anyway, I think there is an easier way. Consider the triangular loop consisting of the groove, then the radius to the centre, then the radius back to the start of the groove.
What is ∫E.dl along the radii? What is the area enclosed? What does that give for ∫E.dl along the groove?

Likes WubbaLubba Dubdub
WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
From this ##\Delta V## is ##-\frac{\pi}{8}BL## which is very similar to the pot. difference I got in post#3 but seems dimensionally incorrect.
You integrated ##E\cos\phi\,d\phi##, but you want to integrate ##E \cos\phi\,dx##. You need to write ##dx## in terms of ##d\phi##.

haruspex said:
I did not follow how you set up that integral.
anyway, I think there is an easier way. Consider the triangular loop consisting of the groove, then the radius to the centre, then the radius back to the start of the groove.
What is ∫E.dl along the radii? What is the area enclosed? What does that give for ∫E.dl along the groove?
∫E.dl along the radii is zero. The area enclosed is ##\frac{L^2}{4}##. I am guessing this gives ∫E.dl along the groove, although I don't see how.
Anyway I too, noticed something. ##E \cos(\phi)##, where ##\phi## is the angle I marked in my Paint diagram/scribble but forgot to label. So there is a constant field acting on the particle, i.e. a constant force and hence constant acceleration. Using ##v^2 = 2as## I got the correct velocity. What I get when using the area as potential difference is very similar, leading me to believe that the potential is somehow "B" times the area?

vela said:
You integrated ##E\cos\phi\,d\phi##, but you want to integrate ##E \cos\phi\,dx##. You need to write ##dx## in terms of ##d\phi##.
Ahh thanks ! I knew something was wrong with my integral. But using ##x = \frac{L}{2} \sec\phi## and thus ##dx = \frac{L}{2}\sec \phi \tan \phi## would lead the integral being equal to ##-B\frac{L}{4} \sec \phi##. Putting in the limits I would get zero...

You mixed up ##r = \frac L2 \sec\theta## and ##x = \frac L2 \tan\theta##. But your observation earlier that the component of the electric field along that path is constant let's you say
$$\Delta V = -\int \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r} = E_x \int dx = E_x L.$$
(Too lazy to check the signs.)

Last edited:
Likes WubbaLubba Dubdub
vela said:
You mixed up ##r = \frac L2 \sec\theta## and ##x = \frac L2 \tan\theta##. But you're observation earlier that the component of the electric field along that path is constant let's you say
$$\Delta V = \int \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r} = E_x \int dx = E_x L.$$
Thanks again! One last question though. Between which two points exactly is the potential difference ##-\frac{d\phi}{dt}## in cases such as these where the magnetic field varies with time. ?

WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
the potential is somehow "B" times the area?
Yes, that's what ##\int_C\vec E.\vec {ds}=-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}## says. φ Is the total flux through the area inside the loop C. Bt is the flux density at time t.

Likes WubbaLubba Dubdub
haruspex said:
Yes, that's what ##\int_C\vec E.\vec {ds}=-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}## says. φ Is the total flux through the area inside the loop C. Bt is the flux density at time t.
Thank you! This makes much more sense now

Related to Force due changing magnetic field

1. What is force due to a changing magnetic field?

Force due to a changing magnetic field, also known as electromagnetic force, is the force exerted on a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field that is changing in time.

2. How is force due to a changing magnetic field calculated?

Force due to a changing magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What causes force due to a changing magnetic field?

Force due to a changing magnetic field is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the charged particle. When the magnetic field changes, it induces an electric field, which then exerts a force on the charged particle.

4. How does force due to a changing magnetic field affect moving charges?

Force due to a changing magnetic field affects moving charges by exerting a force on them, which causes them to change direction or speed. This is the principle behind devices such as generators and motors, which use the force to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of force due to a changing magnetic field?

Some real-life applications of force due to a changing magnetic field include generators, motors, transformers, and particle accelerators. It is also the basis for electromagnetic induction, which is used in technologies such as power plants, electric motors, and wireless charging.