Football freaks only - Which league is the best?

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation mainly revolved around discussing the strongest league for soccer and American football, with some additional comments about other sports such as frisbee and beer pong. The general consensus was that the Premier League is the strongest for soccer, and that the NFC is the strongest for American football. There were also some comments about the differences between the two sports and why American football is referred to as "football." Overall, the conversation was light-hearted and included some playful banter.

Which football league is the best?

• Total voters
Nfl!

Physics news on Phys.org
Its an interesting thread if you understand the game.

Just a ball.

One ball, two holes and 22 cocks running around trying to get to the hole.

Eeh-is it THAT we're talking about here??

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that the hole/pole ratio is much too low.

*****COUGH COUGH COUGH******

Quarter-final draw

AC Milan v Bayern Munich
PSV Eindhoven v LIVERPOOL
Roma v MANCHESTER UNITED
CHELSEA v Valencia

For all you doubters out there :smile:

Guiness Premiership. It is the only league in England playing Football.

From a life long member of the Bath Football Club

I hope that bayern will kick some Italian ass..
any fans of Germany here?

ziad1985 said:
I hope that bayern will kick some Italian ass..

So do I; then man united will play bayern in the semis. (I've got a fond memory of that fixture :rolleyes: )

don't remind me of 99(I think it was 1999), when it was bayern-Man united final.
1-0 till minute 88 , then suddenly man united gives birth to 2 goals, that was lame!

ziad1985 said:
don't remind me of 99(I think it was 1999), when it was bayern-Man united final.
1-0 till minute 88 , then suddenly man united gives birth to 2 goals, that was lame!

mwahaha.. I quite enjoyed it :biggrin:

cristo said:
mwahaha.. I quite enjoyed it :biggrin:

I hated it, like an 11 years old would hate a barbie doll...
but we won it in 2001 :approve:

Tips for the quarters:
Milan by a couple goals on aggregate
Liverpool by 1
Man U will win just because i don't want them too
and Chelsea will beat Valencia in both games.

ibo said:
Tips for the quarters:
Milan by a couple goals on aggregate
No way; bayern will beat milan.
Liverpool by 1
liverpool don't deserve to win, but probably will be lucky and win on away goals or something!
Man U will win just because i don't want them too
Man u will win because they're the best team in the competition.
and Chelsea will beat Valencia in both games.
i don't know about that-- chelsea aren't that good!

AC Milan v Bayern Munich
PSV Eindhoven v Liverpool
Roma v Manchester United
Chelsea v Valencia

I think Bayern, Liverpool, ManU and Valencia will make to the semis. Finally ManU will become champions!

I agree that Man U will win the competition.

I think the Chelsea v Valencia match will be the closest. I'd like to see Chelsea lose though!

I think that right now, the EPL is the strongest league in the world, especially now that Liverpool are going from strength to strength and are able to attract great players. EPL has four great teams, and at least six other teams who could beat the continental greats on their day.

I would love to see a down-to-the-last-day situation between Manu and Chelsea in the Prem, a Manu vs Chelsea FA Cup Final and a Manu vs Chelsea Champs league final.

As long as Manu win the Prem, I'm not bothered about the finals. I don't like to see monopolies, which is what Chelsea almost established in the Prem.

Couperin said:
I would love to see a down-to-the-last-day situation between Manu and Chelsea in the Prem, a Manu vs Chelsea FA Cup Final and a Manu vs Chelsea Champs league final.

Hopefully resulting in another treble for Man U!

UEFA has decided which is the strongest league, because it assigns coefficients to the various domestic leagues in order to establish the number of clubs representing each country in the UEFA competitions. These are the coefficients for the 2007/08 campaign

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/kind=64/newsId=436763.html

1)Spain 72748
2)Italy 66731
3)England 63486
4)France 50781
5)Germany 48364

These are numbers and statistics and not the fanatical babble of some of the members here

Last edited by a moderator:
83% of statistics are made up on the spot anyway.

Wow, that is the best counterargument you can come up with? Seems to me that is a way of admiting defeat and acknowledging the superiority of La Liga :rolleyes:

dont be stupid, if barcelona are so good then where are they in the champ league? what about real madrid?

Andy said:
dont be stupid, if barcelona are so good then where are they in the champ league? what about real madrid?

I don't care about the mandrils, in fact I laughed my soul out when the conceded a goal within the first 10 seconds in the match against Bayern. Ok, this has been a black season for spanish teams in the Champions, let's see what happens next year

Last edited:
A very black season for spain, i do love watching barcelona and real madrid though. But i do find that in general premiership games are a lot more exciting to watch than the la liga games.

And a very good one for England..3 teams

Andy said:
But i do find that in general premiership games are a lot more exciting to watch than the la liga games.

It's easy to suspect some bias in this statement...:rolleyes:

I find the Swedish league very exciting, but I doubt no one else here does...

cristo said:
Hopefully resulting in another treble for Man U!
Judging by the special ones performance in the FA cup that could happen, but I think both clubs are in the crap now, too many injuries. Its a lottery who wins IMHO.

UEFA has decided which is the strongest league, because it assigns coefficients to the various domestic leagues in order to establish the number of clubs representing each country in the UEFA competitions. These are the coefficients for the 2007/08 campaign

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/k...Id=436763.html

1)Spain 72748
2)Italy 66731
3)England 63486
4)France 50781
5)Germany 48364

These are numbers and statistics and not the fanatical babble of some of the members here
Which year was the data take to create this table? certainly not 2006/2007 or 2005 as a matter of fact

Last edited by a moderator:
EL said:
It's easy to suspect some bias in this statement...:rolleyes:

I find the Swedish league very exciting, but I doubt no one else here does...

Now I do, since Larrsen will be playing there again

Anttech said:
Now I do, since Larrsen will be playing there again
Please...L-A-R-S-S-O-N

i'm probably one of the few neutral sides here..and i have to go with the serieA with clost competition from the Ligua, the Premiere division is third. I'm from Lebanon btw. Italy has contact football and very nice tactical play and magnificent players to watch. La ligua has nice strategies and great players. besides Man UTD and Chelsea and Arsenal who has world class players in England? i only watch them because of Chelsea and Theiry Henry ! i don't know 1 player in England who can entertain viewers like ronaldinho, ibrahimovic, adriano...do.

probably the english league would improve when the work permit is eased up a little. comon english ppl were are your brazilians and argentinians?

eaboujaoudeh said:
comon english ppl

I'll take that as a phrase that's lost in translation :rolleyes:
were are your brazilians and argentinians?

erm.. West Ham Utd? :-p

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised I get "team mates" in Serie A now, but not at the time the thread was started. I mean since then Serie A has become a bit demolished due to the bribe scandal etc. Actually I would go for La Liga right now...

Last edited:
eaboujaoudeh said:
i'm probably one of the few neutral sides here..and i have to go with the serieA with clost competition from the Ligua, the Premiere division is third. I'm from Lebanon btw. Italy has contact football and very nice tactical play and magnificent players to watch. La ligua has nice strategies and great players. besides Man UTD and Chelsea and Arsenal who has world class players in England? i only watch them because of Chelsea and Theiry Henry ! i don't know 1 player in England who can entertain viewers like ronaldinho, ibrahimovic, adriano...do.

Lebanese you say? We have a crappy league here, that's why we are fans of European leagues, but I agree with you on SerieA .
Ps:I like very much the German league, but I don't feel it rises up to leagues like the Italian one..

Last edited:
common = as in come on, sorry for that.
we have a league in Lebanon? damn :P