Destroying a Building Using a Lens

In summary, the question asked for the radius of curvature needed to focus the sun's rays onto the student commons using a giant burning lens. The equation used was (1/s) + (1/s') = 1/f = (n-1)[(1/R1) - (1/R2)], and after some calculations, R2 was found to be 30 m. However, this may not be the correct equation for a plano-convex lens and further research is required.
ab200
Homework Statement
I want to mount a giant burning lens on the new engineering building and melt down the student commons. The lens will sit 60 m away from the commons (laterally) and tower 40 m above its roof. I can only afford to grind one side of the giant lens to be spherical, so the other side will have to be flat. The glass will have an index of 1.5. What radius of curvature in m is needed to focus the suns rays onto the commons?
Relevant Equations
(1/s) + (1/s') = 1/f = (n-1)[(1/R1) - (1/R2)]
(n1/s) + (n2/s') = (n2 - n1)/R
Putting the questionable nature of my professor's problem-writing aside, I found this question pretty confusing. I assumed that 60 m was the focal length, and that R1 was infinity since it is a flat surface. This gives me:
1/60 = (1.5 - 1)[(1/∞) - (1/R2)]
This gave me R2 = 30 m, but that isn't correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
ab200 said:
Homework Statement: I want to mount a giant burning lens on the new engineering building and melt down the student commons. The lens will sit 60 m away from the commons (laterally) and tower 40 m above its roof. I can only afford to grind one side of the giant lens to be spherical, so the other side will have to be flat. The glass will have an index of 1.5. What radius of curvature in m is needed to focus the suns rays onto the commons?
Relevant Equations: (1/s) + (1/s') = 1/f = (n-1)[(1/R1) - (1/R2)]
(n1/s) + (n2/s') = (n2 - n1)/R

Putting the questionable nature of my professor's problem-writing aside, I found this question pretty confusing. I assumed that 60 m was the focal length, and that R1 was infinity since it is a flat surface. This gives me:
This gave me R2 = 30 m, but that isn't correct.
What is distance?

Likes ab200
@hutchphd's queston is well worth considering but there is an additional issue with your answer.
ab200 said:
In terms of symbols this becomes

1/s=-(n-1)/R

Is this the correct equation for a plano-convex lens? Look it up.

hutchphd said:
What is distance?
I got it! Thanks for the tip.

Likes hutchphd
FWIW, I've read of fires started by sunlight focussed onto adjacent, readily flammable material by the curve of a vase or clear bottle, even the dished base of a drinks can. IIRC, the latter, 'merely' thoughtlessly tossed roadside trash, was determined to be the surprising source of a massive 'bush-fire'...

Let's not forget architectural howlers such as the US and UK skyscrapers whose curved glazed facades did their best to 'Death_Star Zap' their neighbourhood until re-fitted with louvred shades...

Nik_2213 said:
I've read of fires started by sunlight focussed
Please link to a credible source. You've been here long enough to know that "I've read somewhere" is not a valid source for PF. Thanks.

Likes Nik_2213
This poor MacGregor owner almost had his boat burn to the pavement from a warped mirror in the head*!

* bathroom, for you landlubbers

Likes Nik_2213
Likes Nik_2213

Related to Destroying a Building Using a Lens

1. How does using a lens destroy a building?

Using a lens to destroy a building involves focusing sunlight onto a specific spot on the building's surface. This concentrated sunlight creates intense heat, which can cause the building material to melt or ignite, ultimately leading to the destruction of the building.

2. What type of lens is best for destroying a building?

A large, high-quality lens that can efficiently concentrate sunlight is best for destroying a building. Fresnel lenses or large magnifying glasses are commonly used for this purpose due to their ability to focus sunlight into a small, intense beam.

3. How long does it take to destroy a building using a lens?

The time it takes to destroy a building using a lens depends on various factors such as the size of the lens, the intensity of sunlight, and the building material. In optimal conditions, a building can be destroyed within a few hours to a few days.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a lens to destroy a building?

Yes, there are several safety concerns when using a lens to destroy a building. The intense heat generated by the focused sunlight can pose a fire hazard, and proper precautions must be taken to ensure the safety of nearby structures, people, and the individual operating the lens.

5. Is it legal to destroy a building using a lens?

Destroying a building using a lens may be illegal in many jurisdictions as it can pose a significant risk to public safety and property. It is important to consult with local authorities and obtain the necessary permits before attempting to destroy a building using this method.