Flying objects pulling on Earth

In summary, it is not possible for Earth to be pulled out of its orbit by the movement of birds and planes, as their effect on the Earth's center of mass is negligible. However, it is possible for their movements to affect the Earth's rotational speed, which can be measured in real-world examples such as earthquakes and tides.
doglover9754
So, I was thinking today about Newton's Law Of Universal Gravitation. Well, when I was thinking, I remembered that if you were to drop a rock, the Earth would be pulled the slightest bit. Right? Anyways, if that’s the case, then if there are enough birds and planes flying around in the sky, then is it possible for the Earth to eventually get pulled out of its orbit? I mean, givin enough time and the Earth being pulled a certain way, won’t it still be possible? I’m not sure. Sorry if that sounds totally random and is in the wrong category (maybe... I dunno). I may have thought that over too much... heh heh.

Physics news on Phys.org
doglover9754 said:
Anyways, if that’s the case, then if there are enough birds and planes flying around in the sky, then is it possible for the Earth to eventually get pulled out of its orbit?
No.

If you consider the system "Earth and birds/planes/...", their common center of mass does not change its position or speed, no matter what the birds/... do. If they fly up they push Earth a bit away from them, if they land Earth moves a bit in their direction again, for a net effect of exactly zero. This is a direct result of conservation of momentum.
To change Earth's orbit, you need an external force - an asteroid crashing into Earth, a rocket flying away from Earth or something similar. While these things happen: The mass of Earth is huge, and the rate of asteroids hitting Earth is tiny, and the rate of rockets leaving it is even smaller. Their effect is completely negligible.

Likes billy_joule and A Lazy Shisno
mfb said:
No.

If you consider the system "Earth and birds/planes/...", their common center of mass does not change its position or speed, no matter what the birds/... do. If they fly up they push Earth a bit away from them, if they land Earth moves a bit in their direction again, for a net effect of exactly zero. This is a direct result of conservation of momentum.
To change Earth's orbit, you need an external force - an asteroid crashing into Earth, a rocket flying away from Earth or something similar. While these things happen: The mass of Earth is huge, and the rate of asteroids hitting Earth is tiny, and the rate of rockets leaving it is even smaller. Their effect is completely negligible.
Ohhhhh! That makes more sense! Thanks!

However, while it is not possible to change the orbit this way it is entirely possible to change the rotational speed of the Earth, just by making all birds and cars to go in one direction :wink:

(and hey, I am serious, while it is not related to birds and cars weather patterns - movements of huge amounts of water/air - are one of the reasons why the solar day length is fluctuating all the time)

Borek said:
However, while it is not possible to change the orbit this way it is entirely possible to change the rotational speed of the Earth, just by making all birds and cars to go in one direction :wink:

(and hey, I am serious, while it is not related to birds and cars weather patterns - movements of huge amounts of water/air - are one of the reasons why the solar day length is fluctuating all the time)
Ohh. Okie

Borek said:

Real world examples where there is a measurable impact on rotation rate:
Earthquakes
Tides

Likes billy_joule
Borek said:

Moving them to the pole (closer to the rotation axis) to speed up rotation or closer to the equator to slow it is more effective. Large dams have a measurable effect on the length of a day due to this redistribution of a large amount of water.

Related to Flying objects pulling on Earth

1. How do flying objects pull on Earth?

Flying objects, such as airplanes and birds, pull on Earth through the force of gravity. This force is a result of the mass of the object and the mass of Earth, creating an attraction between the two.

2. Do all flying objects have the same effect on Earth's pull?

No, the effect of a flying object on Earth's pull varies depending on its mass. Objects with larger masses, such as airplanes, have a greater effect on Earth's pull compared to smaller objects like birds.

3. Can flying objects change Earth's gravitational pull?

While flying objects can have an effect on Earth's pull, they are unable to change the overall gravitational pull of the planet. Earth's mass and distance from other massive objects, such as the moon and sun, are the main factors that determine its gravitational pull.

4. How does Earth's rotation affect the pull of flying objects?

Earth's rotation does not directly affect the pull of flying objects. However, it does impact the trajectory and speed of these objects, which can indirectly affect their pull on Earth's surface.

5. Is the pull of flying objects on Earth constant?

The pull of flying objects on Earth is not constant, as it can vary depending on the position and movement of the object. Additionally, other factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the pull of flying objects on Earth.