(Fluids) Material and local velocity and acceleration fields.

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity and acceleration fields in the Eulerian description for a fluid with given streamlines in Lagrangian form. The initial positions are determined by setting t=0 and solving for x0, y0, z0. The velocity field in local form is obtained by taking the time derivative of the streamlines and substituting the initial positions. The acceleration can be calculated by taking the time derivative of the material velocity or by using the formula Dv/Dt = dv/dt + v.grad(v). However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the two methods.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

The streamlines of a fluid are as follows:
x = (x0) + 3(y0)t^2
y = (y0)/(1 + 2t)
z = (z0) + 5(x0)t

Find the velocity and acceleration fields in the Eulerian description (local).

Homework Equations

Total/material acceleration: Dv/Dt = dv/dt + v.grad(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am given the trajectories of the fluid in Lagrangian form, meaning a function of the initial positions and time. If I set t=0 I get x=x0, y=y0, z=z0 as the initial positions. I then solve for the initial positions as a function of x,y,z and t.

Next I take the time derivative of streamlines I am given to get the velocity field in Lagrangian(material) form, after which I substitute x0, y0, z0, which gives me the velocity field in local (Eulerian) form.

How do I calculate the acceleration? I can take the time derivative of the material velocity (2nd time derivative of the streamlines given) and then substitute x0,y0,z0. I can also use the formula I suggested, using it on the velocity field in local form (no initial positions in it).

My prof insists that doing it either way is equivalent but I've gone through the math several times and it simply isn't. Can someone please clarify these concepts/definitions for me once and for all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the two procedures you are describing?

Here it is: http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/592/p1000992.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to (Fluids) Material and local velocity and acceleration fields.

1. What is a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take on the shape of its container. This can include liquids, gases, and plasmas.

2. How is the velocity of a fluid determined?

The velocity of a fluid is determined by its mass flow rate and the cross-sectional area it is flowing through. It can also be affected by external forces such as pressure or gravity.

3. What is the difference between local and global velocity fields?

A local velocity field refers to the velocity of a fluid at a specific point in space, while a global velocity field refers to the overall velocity of the fluid in a larger region.

4. How are acceleration fields related to velocity fields?

Acceleration fields describe the rate of change of velocity over time. They are related to velocity fields through the equation a = dv/dt, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time.

5. What factors can affect the local velocity and acceleration fields of a fluid?

The local velocity and acceleration fields of a fluid can be affected by various factors such as the shape of the container, the viscosity of the fluid, the presence of obstacles, and external forces like pressure or gravity.