Polynomial approximation of a more complicated function

In summary: Taylor series expansion. In summary, the conversation is about finding a simpler surface function G(x,y,z) that approximates a complicated function F(x,y,z) within a region close to a specific point. This is done by using Taylor's series expansion and computing the derivatives using finite differences. The derivatives are needed to compute the total derivative and the function is differentiable near the point of interest. The coefficients in the finite difference approximation are the points on the finite difference grid where the function is evaluated. There is a discussion about the accuracy of the Taylor series approximation and whether or not to include the cross derivatives.
Hypatio
There is an arbitrarily complicated function F(x,y,z).

I want to find a simpler surface function G(x,y,z) which approximates F(x,y,z) within a region close to the point (x0,y0,z0).

Can I write a second-order accurate equation for G if I know F(x0,y0,z0) and can compute the derivatives at the point using finite-differences. What does that function look like? What derivatives are needed?

I want to do this because the function F(x,y,z) is very complicated, but I want to compute an approximate result many times at positions which only change slowly.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the "Taylor's series expansion". For a function of three variables, f(x,y,z), about [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex], that [tex]f(x_0, y_0, z_0)+ f_x(x_0,y_0,z_0) (x- x_0)+ f_y(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y- y_0)+ f_z(x_0,y_0,z_0)(z- z_0)+ f_{xx}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)^2+ f_{xy}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)(y- y_0)+ f_{xz}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)(z- z_0)+ f_{yy}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y- y_0)^2+ f_{yz}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y- y_0)(z- z_0)+ f_{zz}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(z- z_0)^2[/tex].

Likes Hypatio and DaveE
If the function is differentiable near the point of interest then the derivative is the best local linear approximation near the point. You would need the partials to compute the total derivative, i.e., tangent plane.

HallsofIvy said:
Start with the "Taylor's series expansion". For a function of three variables, f(x,y,z), about [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex], that [tex]f(x_0, y_0, z_0)+ f_x(x_0,y_0,z_0) (x- x_0)+ f_y(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y- y_0)+ f_z(x_0,y_0,z_0)(z- z_0)+ f_{xx}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)^2+ f_{xy}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)(y- y_0)+ f_{xz}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)(z- z_0)+ f_{yy}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y- y_0)^2+ f_{yz}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y- y_0)(z- z_0)+ f_{zz}(x_0,y_0,z_0)(z- z_0)^2[/tex].
How about also indicating the points on the finite difference grid that the function would be evaluated at to provide the coefficients in this finite difference approximation?

HallsofIvy said:

Thanks this works. However, I'm looking at the first derivatives of f(x,y,z) and its taylor series approx and see that the taylor series is wildly inaccurate unless the cross derivatives are included, even right next to the point. Is it correct to simply remove the cross terms to get a lower order approximation, or does something else need to be done?

Hypatio said:
Thanks this works. However, I'm looking at the first derivatives of f(x,y,z) and its taylor series approx and see that the taylor series is wildly inaccurate unless the cross derivatives are included, even right next to the point. Is it correct to simply remove the cross terms to get a lower order approximation, or does something else need to be done?
I don't understand what you are describing.

"Simply removing the cross terms" doesn't "get a lower order approximation"

Related to Polynomial approximation of a more complicated function

1. What is polynomial approximation?

Polynomial approximation is a mathematical method used to approximate a more complicated function with a simpler polynomial function. This is done by finding the best fit polynomial that closely matches the original function.

2. Why is polynomial approximation useful?

Polynomial approximation is useful because it allows for easier analysis and computation of complex functions. It also helps to simplify the representation of a function, making it easier to understand and work with.

3. How is polynomial approximation different from interpolation?

Polynomial approximation and interpolation are similar methods, but they have some key differences. Interpolation involves finding a polynomial that passes through a set of given points, while polynomial approximation involves finding a polynomial that closely fits a given function. Additionally, interpolation is used for exact values, while approximation is used for estimating values.

4. What are the limitations of polynomial approximation?

One limitation of polynomial approximation is that it may not accurately represent functions with sharp changes or discontinuities. Additionally, using a high degree polynomial for approximation can lead to overfitting and loss of accuracy.

5. How do I choose the degree of the polynomial for approximation?

The degree of the polynomial for approximation depends on the complexity of the original function and the desired level of accuracy. Generally, a higher degree polynomial will provide a better approximation, but it may also lead to overfitting. It is important to balance accuracy and simplicity when choosing the degree of the polynomial.