Fluids at Rest: Pressure/Force Problem

In summary, the total force on the wall can be found by integrating the pressure, which is equal to the density of the water times the gravitational constant times the height of the water, over the horizontal area of the wall.
Taiki_Kazuma
This question has been asked several times, but I don't want the answer (I can see the stupid answer...) I need help with my solution...

Homework Statement

A large aquarium of height 5.00m is filled with fresh water to a depth of 2.00m. One wall of the aquarium consists of thick plastic 8.00m wide. By how much does the total force on that wall increase if the aquarium is next filled to a depth of 4.00m.

Homework Equations

p = ρgh

p = F/A

A = hw

The Attempt at a Solution

ρ = 0.998x103 kg/m3
g = 9.81 m/s2
h1 = 2.00m
h2 = 4.00m
w = 8.00m

ΔF = F2 - F1
ΔF = p2A2 - p1A1
ΔF = ρgh2A2 - ρgh1A1
ΔF = ρg (h2A2 - h1A1)
ΔF = ρg (h22w - h12w)
ΔF = ρgw (h22 - h12)

ΔF = (.998x103 kg/m3) (9.81 m/s2) (8.00m) [ (4.00m)2 - (2.00m)2 ]

ΔF = 9.40x105 N

Correct Answer: 4.71x105 N

Why am I double what the answer is suppose to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
to start with, what does w=8m really mean? In the question, it says: 'One wall of the aquarium consists of thick plastic 8.00m wide.' So this isn't the width of the aquarium itself, right?

I don't understand this problem at all. Surely you must have the horizontal area of the aquarium to know how much water is going in, but the question does not give you this...

Edit: oh, I see, w is the horizontal length of one of the surfaces of the tank. But how are you supposed to infer the horizontal lengths of the other faces of the tank? Is it meant to be a cube, or a cuboid, or some other shape?

From what I understand, you don't need to know the sizes of the other walls.

Pressure is delta-Force over delta-Area. And for flat surfaces, Pressure ends up simply being P = F/A (no integration needed).

Besides, the problem states that it only wants to know the pressure difference of one wall.

At first, I thought the 8.0m was in fact the thickness of the plastic, but that is unreleastic and would mean there isn't enough information provided... Besides, it states "a thick plastic 8.0m wide" not "a wide plastic 8.0 thick." ... I could have saved myself a little headache if I actually 'read' the problem...

Then, I figured that I should include my air pressures... But they all dropped out of the Net-Force.

Ultimately, I got crazy and figured that "sum of the total forces" meant truly that. So, I added all my forces... But, that move was stupid... If 'subtracting' (Net-Force) was too high, then obviously adding would be high too...

Of course, one thing I haven't done is use Integration. Though, I can see a Problem with that already... I have three things that are changing: As area increases, the magnitude of the force increases, which effects the Pressure value...

Of course, that brings up an interesting point.
F = ma
A = wh; w is constant
P = mgh; g is constant

m = Density * V = Density * Lwh; Density, L, and w are constant

Therefore, F = (L*density*w) * the integral of (delta-h) from [2,4].

But, I don't know L... Well that was a useless journey... =\

To find the force you integrate [itex]\displaystyle{8 \rho gh \ dh} [/itex] from 0 to the height, the reason your answer was double the actual answer was just because you left out a constant [itex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] in your working :)

(My apologies for not using the pretty font)

Now,
rho = D
dh = delta-h
dF = delta-F

I think I see the logic behind it:

P = F/A
F = P A

P = (D g dh)
A = (w dh)

dF = [D g dh] * [w dh]
dF = D g w (dh)^2

I think we can simply rewrite the end as:
(dh)^2 = h * dh

Therefore,
dF = D g w h (dh)

Integrate with respect to the limits of [2,4] to get:

F = .5 * D g w h^2 | [2,4]

Taiki_Kazuma said:
Besides, the problem states that it only wants to know the pressure difference of one wall.

Woops, I missed that bit while reading. Ok, it should be possible to find the answer to the question.

The 'correct answer' seems to make the assumption that atmospheric pressure is equal to zero pascals. (Or that the aquarium is a perfect vacuum apart from the water contained).

Taiki_Kazuma said:
(My apologies for not using the pretty font)

Now,
rho = D
dh = delta-h
dF = delta-F

I think I see the logic behind it:

P = F/A
F = P A

P = (D g dh)
A = (w dh)
The pressure is equal to [itex]p=\rho g h[/itex], not [itex]\rho g\,dh[/itex], so you should have [itex]dF = \rho g h\,dA = \rho g h w\,dh[/itex]. To find the total force on the wall, integrate from 0 to H, where H is the depth of the water.

Related to Fluids at Rest: Pressure/Force Problem

1. What is pressure and how is it related to fluids at rest?

Pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. In other words, it is the amount of force that a fluid applies on a surface divided by the area of that surface. In the context of fluids at rest, pressure is related to the weight of the fluid above a certain point and the density of the fluid.

2. How does the shape of a container affect the pressure of a fluid at rest?

The shape of a container does not affect the pressure of a fluid at rest. As long as the fluid is in equilibrium, the pressure at any given point will be the same regardless of the shape of the container. This is because the weight of the fluid above a certain point and the density of the fluid will remain constant, regardless of the container's shape.

3. How do you calculate the force exerted by a fluid at rest?

The force exerted by a fluid at rest can be calculated using the formula F = P x A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the surface the force is acting on. This formula is derived from the definition of pressure, which is force per unit area.

4. How does the depth of a fluid affect the pressure at the bottom of a container?

The depth of a fluid does not affect the pressure at the bottom of a container. The pressure at the bottom of a container is only dependent on the weight of the fluid above it and the density of the fluid. As long as these two factors remain constant, the pressure will remain the same regardless of the depth of the fluid.

5. What is the difference between absolute pressure and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, only measures the pressure above atmospheric pressure. This means that absolute pressure will always be higher than gauge pressure, as it takes into account the pressure of the surrounding air. Gauge pressure is often used in engineering and physics calculations, while absolute pressure is used in meteorology and other atmospheric sciences.