Fluid pressure integral problem. Pretty easy, although I'm getting wrong answer

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem involves calculating the force exerted on a submerged plate using the formula F = w int y*f(y) dy. The plate has a width of y^3 and a height of 2-y. The correct answer for the integration from 0 to 2 is 64/5w, which can be obtained by using the power rule and plugging in the limits of integration. The final answer is 0w, which simplifies to 0.
MathGangsta

Homework Statement

http://books.google.com/books?id=hM...q=the plate in figure 12 is submerged&f=false

It's number 11 on that linked page.

Homework Equations

F = w int y*f(y) dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I used 2-y for my height and y^3 for my width, I then multiplied by 2 for symmetry on the width. I then integrate from 0 to 2. I keep getting the answer: 16/5w but the book says it's 64/5w. I'm just not seeing it. I'm positive I have the integral setup correctly. I've checked it numerous times. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. First, let me clarify that I am a scientist and not a mathematician, so my expertise is in the application of scientific principles rather than mathematical problem solving. However, I will do my best to assist you with your question.

From my understanding of the problem, you are trying to calculate the force (F) exerted on a submerged plate with a width of y^3 and a height of 2-y, using the formula F = w int y*f(y) dy, where w is the weight density of the fluid and f(y) is the depth of the plate at a given point y.

Based on this, I believe your setup is correct. However, I think the discrepancy between your answer and the book's answer may be due to a small error in your integration. When integrating from 0 to 2, the correct answer should be 64/5w, as stated in the book.

Here is my approach to solving this problem:

1. Rewrite the equation as F = w * int y*(2-y)^3 dy from 0 to 2.

2. Use the power rule to integrate y*(2-y)^3, which gives us 1/5 * y^2 * (2-y)^4.

3. Plug in the limits of integration (0 and 2) to get (1/5 * 2^2 * (2-2)^4) - (1/5 * 0^2 * (2-0)^4), which simplifies to 0 - 0, giving us a final answer of 0.

4. Multiply by w to get the final answer of 0w, which is equivalent to 0.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Related to Fluid pressure integral problem. Pretty easy, although I'm getting wrong answer

What is a fluid pressure integral problem?

A fluid pressure integral problem is a type of problem in physics that involves calculating the pressure exerted by a fluid on a given surface. This involves using the formula P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force exerted by the fluid, and A is the surface area.

What is the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is the total pressure, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is often used in fluid pressure integral problems, while absolute pressure is used in other applications, such as measuring the pressure inside a sealed container.

What are some common units of measurement for pressure?

Some common units of measurement for pressure include pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), pounds per square inch (psi), and bar. It is important to make sure the units are consistent when solving a fluid pressure integral problem.

What are some common mistakes made when solving a fluid pressure integral problem?

Some common mistakes include not converting units properly, not taking into account the correct atmospheric pressure, and not considering the direction of the force exerted by the fluid. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my understanding of fluid pressure integral problems?

One way to improve understanding is to practice solving various types of problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to review the basic principles and equations related to fluid pressure, such as Pascal's law and the formula P = F/A.