Fluid pressure; inclined angle

In summary: The sec(theta) is giving me; how exactly this equation changing the original equation of a vertically submerged surface. I never took trig., so please dumb it down in that area.
Tclack
I can do vertically submerged fluid force problems. One portion of my book says:
If a flat surface is immersed so that it makes an angle of [itex]0 \leq \theta \geq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] with the vertical, then the fluid force on the surface is given by:
[itex]F=\int^b_a \rho h(x)w(x)sec\theta dx[/itex]

Can someone explain exactly what the sec(theta) is giving me; how exactly this equation changing the original equation of a vertically submerged surface. I never took trig., so please dumb it down in that area

If it helps, just made a diagram. Is this the correct angle in the equation?

Attachments

• fluid press.jpg
    fluid press.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
ok I've found a good explanation here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Mi...&resnum=6&ved=0CBUQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

on page 490, now how does it change if we submerge a flat inclined plane further underwater, such that the top of the figure no longer "just touches" the water surface?

It would seem to me that if the figure were submerged an additional 4 feet, and our height became y+4, the sec(@) or sin@, whatever we choose our reference to be, would scew that plus 4 height

I've tried these:

(d = additional height object is sumberged below top of fluid)
[itex]
\int^b_a \rho w(x) h(x+d)sec\theta dx
[/itex]

[itex]
\rho V + \int^b_a \rho w(x)h(x+d)sec\theta dx
[/itex]
(The V here being the volume of water above the submerged surface)
[itex]
\rho V + \int^b_a \rho w(x)h(x)sec\theta dx
[/itex]
[itex]
\rho V + \int^b_a \rho w(x)h(x+d)sec\theta dx
[/itex]

But none of them seem to work.

Last edited:
Ok, i might as well come out with the problem. Please find my error:
A pool is 10 ft wide and 16 ft long, One end has a depth of 4 feet, the other end has a depth of 8 ft (therefore, the bottom of the pool makes an inclined surface) Find the Total Fluid pressure on the pool's bottom.

I can't make a picture right now, due to limitations of this computer (I'm on a Navy Ship, the computer doesn't have paint)

so basically an inclined plane submerged 4 feet.

For a visual, follow along with the last example of this:
http://www.phengkimving.com/calc_of_one_real_var/12_app_of_the_intgrl/12_09_force_exrtd_by_a_fluid.htm"
I'm following this example word for word and still missing something

I'f I go down the shallow end a height h, and follow it over to the inclined surface I get a small dh that forms a rectangle with width dw

[itex] cos\theta = \frac{dh}{dw} [/itex]
[itex] dw=\frac{dh}{cos\theta } [/itex]
by similar triangles, [itex] cos\theta = \frac{4}{\sqrt{4^2+16^2}} [/itex]
[itex]cos \theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{17}}[/itex]
Therefore[itex]dw= \sqrt{17} dh [/itex]------------------------(1)
now the little rectangle has an area dA such that:
[itex]dA=dw10[/itex] from (1): [itex] dA=10\sqrt{17} dh[/itex]

Weight Densiy is [itex]\rho = 62.4 [/itex] therefore,
Since Pressure is weight density x Height, the Pressure on this rectangle at depth h+4 is [itex]\rho (h+4) = 62.4(h+4) [/itex]

Force=Pressure x Area The force dF on this rectangl is:
[itex] dF=(62.4)(h+4)(dA)= 62.4 (h+4) 10 \sqrt{17} [/itex]

That was on ONE rectangle, to get the Total Force, take the integral
[itex]\int^4_0 624\sqrt{17}(h+4) dh [/itex]
[itex]624\sqrt{17}(\frac{h^2}{2}+4h)\mid^4_0 [/math]
This gives me:61,747
ACTUAL ANSWER: 63,648

What went Wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Fluid pressure; inclined angle

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. It is caused by the collisions of the fluid particles with the surfaces they come into contact with.

2. How is fluid pressure affected by inclined angles?

The fluid pressure at any point is affected by the weight of the fluid above it and the height of the fluid column. When the angle of inclination changes, the weight of the fluid and the height of the column also change, resulting in a change in fluid pressure.

3. What is the relationship between inclined angle and fluid pressure?

The relationship between inclined angle and fluid pressure is directly proportional. As the angle of inclination increases, the fluid pressure also increases. This is because the weight of the fluid column increases with the angle, resulting in a greater force per unit area.

4. How do you calculate fluid pressure at an inclined angle?

The formula for calculating fluid pressure at an inclined angle is P = ρghsinθ, where P is the fluid pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the fluid column, and θ is the angle of inclination.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid pressure and inclined angles?

Fluid pressure and inclined angles have many practical applications, such as in hydraulic systems, where the pressure of a fluid is used to generate mechanical force. They are also used in the design of dams, bridges, and other structures to ensure they can withstand the forces exerted by fluid pressure at different angles.