Fluid Mechanics - Water, Ridiculous Answer

In summary: V = (-beta*dP*T)/kappaThis equation shows that when the temperature of the water is increased by 50°C, the pressure will decrease by 92.3 MPa.
eurekameh
Water at standard atmospheric pressure and temperature fills a sealed, rigid container. If the temperature of the water is increased by 50°C, what is the pressure?

V = volume, P = pressure, T = temperature

Coefficient of compressibility, kappa = (-1/V)(dV/dP)
Coefficient of thermal expansion, beta = (1/V)(dV/dT)

I solved for dV/V from the coefficient of thermal expansion equation:
dV/V = beta*dT.

Plugging into coefficient of compressibility equation:
kappa = -(beta*dT)/dP.

Solved for dP = -(beta*dT)/kappa, changed the d's into deltas.

Plugging kappa = 5.18 * 10^-10 and beta = 1.48 * 10^-4 into delta P equation gave me delta P = -92.3 MPa. Is this reasonable at all? I mean, the pressure difference seems a bit large.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Hi eurekameh,

Now without even looking through your equations I can tell you that they are wrong, or you have made a mistake somewhere.

An increase in temperature will cause an increase in pressure, vice versa... Look up how refrigerators and heat pumps work, also think of your deodorant can - it loses pressure and gets colder.

I'm afraid I can't help you much more as my brain is currently fried from work.

eurekameh said:
Water at standard atmospheric pressure and temperature fills a sealed, rigid container. If the temperature of the water is increased by 50°C, what is the pressure?

V = volume, P = pressure, T = temperature

Coefficient of compressibility, kappa = (-1/V)(dV/dP)
Coefficient of thermal expansion, beta = (1/V)(dV/dT)

I solved for dV/V from the coefficient of thermal expansion equation:
dV/V = beta*dT.

Plugging into coefficient of compressibility equation:
kappa = -(beta*dT)/dP.

Solved for dP = -(beta*dT)/kappa, changed the d's into deltas.

Plugging kappa = 5.18 * 10^-10 and beta = 1.48 * 10^-4 into delta P equation gave me delta P = -92.3 MPa. Is this reasonable at all? I mean, the pressure difference seems a bit large.

The magnitude of your answer is correct, but the sign is wrong. Write the equation of the change in V in terms of the changes in P and T. Then set the change in V equal to zero in the equation.

I would say that this answer is not accurate or reasonable. The pressure difference of -92.3 MPa is unrealistic and would not occur in a sealed, rigid container with water at standard atmospheric pressure and temperature. The equations used in this answer are valid for ideal conditions, but in reality, there are many other factors that would affect the pressure, such as the rigidity of the container and the compressibility of water itself. A more realistic approach would be to use the ideal gas law or other relevant equations that take into account these factors. It is important to critically evaluate and question any results or answers that seem unreasonable or unrealistic in the field of science.

Related to Fluid Mechanics - Water, Ridiculous Answer

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids, such as water, behave under different conditions, including flow, pressure, and temperature.

What role does water play in fluid mechanics?

Water is one of the most commonly studied fluids in fluid mechanics because of its abundance and importance in various industries, such as hydraulics, environmental engineering, and marine engineering.

What is a ridiculous answer to a question about fluid mechanics and water?

A ridiculous answer to a question about fluid mechanics and water could be that water is actually made up of tiny swimming elephants instead of H2O molecules.

How is fluid mechanics applied in real life?

Fluid mechanics is applied in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, automotive engineering, and naval architecture, to design and optimize systems that involve fluid flow, such as airplanes, cars, and ships.

What are some practical applications of fluid mechanics in everyday life?

Some practical applications of fluid mechanics in everyday life include plumbing systems, air conditioning, water pumps, and even the flow of blood in our bodies.