Fluid mechanics — Question about this vector diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of dFs and how it is applied in a streamtube, with the left and right hand diagrams showing different setups. The author raises a question about the net force being dp/2 and suggests it may be 2dAdp/3 instead, but later confirms that the original value is correct for small differences in radii. The conversation concludes with gratitude and appreciation for the assistance provided.
denniszhao
Homework Statement
why is dF=1/2dpdA (at the bottom right of the pic)
Relevant Equations
F=pA
where F is force, p is pressure and A is area.
3E4337EF-2818-49A5-AF04-27A1BF6AABF1.jpg
7FA2B12FF27F659B8F8CE09E3C7C2C62.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to explain a few things first.
Describe what is going on the right hand diagram.
Is the left hand diagram for the same set up or a different situation?
How exactly is dFs defined?

haruspex said:

Sorry for not providing more details.

1577401703450.png

1577401728023.png

haruspex said:

dFs is defined as the force due to the pressure on side walls. The left diagram shows the streamtube and differs from the right diagram which assumes the original pressure to be zero.

denniszhao said:
dFs is defined as the force due to the pressure on side walls. The left diagram shows the streamtube and differs from the right diagram which assumes the original pressure to be zero.
Hmmm...
In the left hand diagram the forces on the ends are pA and (p+dp)(A+dA), giving a difference pdA+Adp.
In the right hand diagram the difference is only Adp, no?

Last edited:
denniszhao said:
The author is looking along the streamtube from the narrow end. From that perspective, the side walls appear as an annulus of area dA. The author is taking the average pressure over that as dp/2, so ends up with dAdp/2 as the net force parallel to the streamline.
But I don't think that's right. If we consider that annulus as concentric thinner annuli the pressure near the thin end of the tube acts over a smaller area than at the far end. I would expect something like 2dAdp/3 as the net force. I'll try to check that.

• Informative
Likes denniszhao
haruspex said:
The author is looking along the streamtube from the narrow end. From that perspective, the side walls appear as an annulus of area dA. The author is taking the average pressure over that as dp/2, so ends up with dAdp/2 as the net force parallel to the streamline.
But I don't think that's right. If we consider that annulus as concentric thinner annuli the pressure near the thin end of the tube acts over a smaller area than at the far end. I would expect something like 2dAdp/3 as the net force. I'll try to check that.

thanks it makes sense that the average pressure applied on the side is dp/2

denniszhao said:
thanks it makes sense that the average pressure applied on the side is dp/2
Yes, I just checked it and 1/2 seems to be right if we assume the difference in radii is small compared with the smaller radius. But it is something that needs to be checked. If you set the small end radius to 0 then it is 2/3.

Likes denniszhao
haruspex said:
Yes, I just checked it and 1/2 seems to be right if we assume the difference in radii is small compared with the smaller radius. But it is something that needs to be checked. If you set the small end radius to 0 then it is 2/3.

Thank you so much! It is really helpful and I appreciate your patience and help!

Related to Fluid mechanics — Question about this vector diagram

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their motion. It involves understanding the behavior of fluids under different conditions and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What is a vector diagram in fluid mechanics?

A vector diagram in fluid mechanics is a graphical representation of the forces acting on a fluid particle or a body in a fluid. It shows the magnitude and direction of these forces using arrows and can be used to analyze the motion and behavior of fluids.

3. How is fluid mechanics applied in real life?

Fluid mechanics has countless practical applications in our everyday lives, from the design of pipelines and pumps to the aerodynamics of airplanes and cars. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and biomedical engineering to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in natural and man-made systems.

4. What are the different types of fluid flow?

There are two main types of fluid flow: laminar and turbulent. Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, orderly movement of fluid particles in a straight line, while turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable, with fluid particles moving in all directions. There are also transitional flows, which exhibit characteristics of both laminar and turbulent flow.

5. How is fluid mechanics related to other branches of science?

Fluid mechanics is closely related to other branches of science, such as thermodynamics and solid mechanics. It is also interconnected with fields like chemistry, biology, and geology, as fluids play important roles in these disciplines. Furthermore, many engineering fields, such as aerospace, civil, and mechanical engineering, heavily rely on fluid mechanics principles in their designs and analyses.