Fluid Mechanics - find a cavity of a block if it exist?

In summary, the problem involves a 10cm cube of aluminum with a density of 2700kg/m submerged in water. The weight in water is 13N and the task is to determine the size of any existing cavity. The equations used were B = V * P_water * g for buoyancy and V_0 = V - V_c = B/(p_water * g) - W/(p_m*g) for finding enclosed cavities. The attempt at a solution involved calculating the volume of the cube and then using this value in the equation for enclosed cavities. However, the resulting number was very small and the individual prefers to work through the problem step by step. The final question is to determine the upthrust (
mistax

Homework Statement

You are given a 10cm Cube of aluminum with Density of 2700kg/m is submerged in water and the weight in water is 13N. If a cavity exist how big is it?

Homework Equations

The equation i used were B = V * P_water * g to find buoyancy.

To find the enclosed cavities i used V_0 = V - V_c = B/(p_water * g) - W/(p_m*g)

The Attempt at a Solution

for B i did volume of the cube was .1^3 * 1000KG/M for water * 9.8

and then when plugging into the equation for enclosed cavities i got
9.8/(9.8 * 1000kg/m) - 13N/(2700KGM * 9.8)

from there i got stuck since i got a number that was really small.

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer to work through stage by stage.
Can you calculate the upthrust (buoyancy) produced by a 0.1m x 0.1m x 0.1 m in water?
I think you have calculated the weight of a cube of aluminium, assuming it has no cavity.
So can you check if there is any difference between the measured weight of the block in water and the predicted weight?

Related to Fluid Mechanics - find a cavity of a block if it exist?

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) at rest and in motion. It involves the study of how fluids flow, the forces acting on them, and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What is a cavity of a block?

A cavity of a block refers to an empty space or void within a solid block of material. In fluid mechanics, we are interested in finding the cavity or empty space within a block that can be filled with a fluid.

3. How do you determine if a cavity exists within a block?

In order to determine if a cavity exists within a block, we use the principles of fluid mechanics and perform calculations to analyze the flow of fluid within the block. If there is a change in fluid flow or pressure within the block, it may indicate the presence of a cavity.

4. What factors affect the presence of a cavity within a block?

The presence of a cavity within a block can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the block, the type of fluid used, and the flow velocity of the fluid. Additionally, the properties of the material of the block, such as its density and porosity, can also impact the formation of a cavity.

5. Why is it important to find a cavity within a block?

Finding a cavity within a block is important in many industrial and engineering applications. It can help in identifying potential areas of weakness or defects in a material, which can have safety and economic implications. It can also aid in the design of more efficient and effective structures and systems involving fluid flow.