Fluid heat transfer problem, please advise. Thanks

In summary, the air with a temperature of 80 F is forced at a speed of 30 m/s through a copper tube with a length of 1 meter and an inner diameter of 2 millimeters. The copper tube has a temperature of -50 F. The design may not be enough to achieve an air temperature of less than 0 F and a longer tube may be needed. Calculating the outcoming air temperature would require a model of the heat transfer, which is complex and best determined through experimentation. The required PSI of air to force through the tube also depends on the texture inside the tube and may affect the heat transfer rate.
hhtguy
Air with temperature of 80 F is forced with a speed of 30 m/s through a copper tube with length of 1 meter and inner diameter of 2 millimeters. The copper tube has a temperature of -50 F.

I want the air coming out of the tube to have a temperature of less than 0 F. Is my design enough or does the tube need to be longer? How do I calculate what the outcoming air temperature will be?

I need to know this for a medical application so please advise. Any useful equation would be helpful too.

Also, what is the required PSI of air in order to force it through said tube?

Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
Both the pressure required and the heat rate depends on the texture inside the tube.

The heat can be modeled with a differential equation (although an accurate model may be complex and not possible to solve analytically).

Then again the pressure and transfer rate affect each other each in their turn, so its a bit tricky. The best way to do it is experiment, although if I had to guess I would say it won't work with the numbers you gave, because the air will spend 1/30th of a second inside the tube and although the volume/surface area is high (2mm is pretty narrow) I don't think you'll drop 80 degress F

Related to Fluid heat transfer problem, please advise. Thanks

What is fluid heat transfer?

Fluid heat transfer is the process by which heat is transferred between a solid surface and a fluid (liquid or gas) in motion. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

What are the factors that affect fluid heat transfer?

The factors that affect fluid heat transfer include the type of fluid, its velocity, the temperature difference between the fluid and the solid surface, the properties of the solid surface (such as its material and surface roughness), and the geometry of the system.

How is fluid heat transfer calculated?

Fluid heat transfer is calculated using the laws of thermodynamics, which take into account the temperature difference, heat transfer coefficient, and surface area of the system. These calculations can be complex and may require the use of equations or computer simulations.

What are some common applications of fluid heat transfer?

Fluid heat transfer is used in a variety of applications, including refrigeration and air conditioning systems, heat exchangers, engines, and industrial processes. It is also important in fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and chemical engineering.

How can fluid heat transfer problems be solved?

Fluid heat transfer problems can be solved by first identifying the type of heat transfer (conduction, convection, or radiation) and then applying the appropriate equations or principles. In some cases, computer simulations or experiments may be necessary to find a solution.