Fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle

In summary: There has been a lot of research on this type of geometry. To find the forces, you will probably have to find someone who has done experiments on the geometry, as there won't be any good analytical way to determine that. There are a number of phenomena that will complicated finding such forces any way other than through experiments, including the effect of vortex shedding and the effect of boundary-layer transition on the surface.Interestingly enough, though, there exists a similarity solution for the boundary layer over this geometry. If you are at all interested in that, the relevant term to search would be "Falkner-Skan-Cooke boundary layer".
Qwerty nm7
Hello,

I need some help with a problem in fluid mechanics. Consider a situation where a cylinder ( of a given radius and length) is kept at an angle theta to the vertical, and a fluid flows across this cylinder. I need to determine the forces and moments acting on this cylinder, for different values of the angle and the flow velocity. I wanted to know if any research has been done in this regard. I tried to find research papers, but couldn't find any paper that would help be get the values of the drag and lift forces as a function of the angle and the flow velocity. I'm not an expert at fluid mechanics, so I think I'm not searching at the right place or with the right keywords, and surely there must be some research done on this and subsequently papers which could give me the value of these forces. As of now, even if I don't get the moment values but only the variation of the drag and lift forces, even that will do.

Would be really glad if someone could help. Thanks :)

Untitled.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Absolutely, research has been done on this question.

In particular, current flow across submerged pipelines and cables comes to mind directly.

I also recall that in the early days of flight, it was found that the wires which helped brace biplane wings together were found to create a relatively large amount of drag due to their circular cross section. Wires with more aerodynamic shape were developed which cut down on the amount of drag produced.

This type of flow is also studied because the passage of fluid around the cylinder can also set up vibratory forces, which can cause fatigue in the material of the cylinder.

Qwerty nm7 said:
I wanted to know if any research has been done in this regard. I tried to find research papers, but couldn't find any paper that would help be get the values of the drag and lift forces as a function of the angle and the flow velocity.

There has been a lot of research on this type of geometry. To find the forces, you will probably have to find someone who has done experiments on the geometry, as there won't be any good analytical way to determine that. There are a number of phenomena that will complicated finding such forces any way other than through experiments, including the effect of vortex shedding and the effect of boundary-layer transition on the surface.

Interestingly enough, though, there exists a similarity solution for the boundary layer over this geometry. If you are at all interested in that, the relevant term to search would be "Falkner-Skan-Cooke boundary layer". That may be a little outside your scope here, though.

Qwerty nm7 said:
I'm not an expert at fluid mechanics, so I think I'm not searching at the right place or with the right keywords, and surely there must be some research done on this and subsequently papers which could give me the value of these forces.

You might try searching Google scholar for things such as "swept cylinder" or "yawed cylinder" with whatever other keywords you want (e.g. "drag on a swept cylinder"). Those are the most common terms you will find in the literature for this geometry. The problem is that you will need a subscription for most things that will pop up since most of it will be behind a pay wall.

Being diagonal to the flow, the length of the cylinder will be effectively shortened.
The section of the cylinder will appear to the fluid as an ellipse.
google ' drag coefficient of ellipse '

Baluncore said:
Being diagonal to the flow, the length of the cylinder will be effectively shortened.
The section of the cylinder will appear to the fluid as an ellipse.
google ' drag coefficient of ellipse '

That's not a good idea. Despite the fact that the cross section would be an ellipse, the flow over the swept cylinder would not be all that similar to an ellipse due to the fact that the pressure gradient creates a three-dimensional flow. It's pretty substantially different.

Related to Fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle

What is fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle?

Fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle refers to the movement of a fluid, such as air or water, over a cylindrical object that is not perpendicular to the flow direction. This can occur in various situations, such as when a cylinder is placed at an angle in a fluid stream or when the fluid itself is moving at an angle.

What factors affect the fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle?

The fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle is affected by several factors, including the angle of the cylinder, the speed of the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, and the shape and surface roughness of the cylinder. These factors can influence the flow patterns, turbulence, and drag forces experienced by the cylinder.

How is the fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle studied?

The fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle can be studied through various experimental and computational methods. These include wind tunnel testing, water tank experiments, and computational fluid dynamics simulations. These methods allow scientists to visualize and analyze the flow patterns and forces acting on the cylinder.

Why is understanding fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle important?

Understanding fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle is important in many practical applications, such as in aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and fluid machinery design. It also has implications in environmental studies, such as understanding the flow of pollutants in bodies of water. Additionally, studying fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle can provide insights into fundamental fluid mechanics concepts.

What are some real-world examples of fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle?

There are many real-world examples of fluid flow across a cylinder at an angle, including the flow of air over an airplane wing, the flow of water over a submarine hull, and the flow of air over a car spoiler. It also occurs in everyday situations, such as the flow of water over a bridge support or the flow of air over a flagpole.