Flow of energy in a cylindrical conductor

In summary: You cannot use a for the length.But It's okay. Now I would like to know if my explanation about why the thermal and field energies were equal is correct.Sorry, I do not see that explanation here.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

A cylindrical conductor with a circular cross section has a radius a and a resistivity ρ and carries a constant current I. What is the flow of energy into the volume occupied by a length l of the conductor? Discuss why the energy dissipated in a current carrying conductor, due to its resistance, can be thought of as entering through the cylindrical sides of the conductor.

Homework Equations

no

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(first of all, sorry my bad english)

I found it to be ρ I² l / π a²

Now my answer for why can we think the flow as entering on the conductor is that the field energy is the cause of the increase of the thermal energy, and thus it must be equal each other. Is it ok?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I found it to be ρ I² l / π a²
Do you mean ##\rho I^2l/(\pi a^2)##? If so, that does not have the right dimension for power.
Even if you don't mean that, it does not look right to me.
The second part of the question strikes me as strange. Is it a translation? The only thing that comes to mind is how the power is distributed along the length.

kent davidge said:

Homework Equations

no
Really?

Likes TSny
DrClaude :smile:

haruspex, is this the second part you've mentioned? "Discuss why the energy dissipated in a current..." If so, it's how the problem was written by the author.
I'll show you how I found my answer for the flow.

The magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields are ρ I / (π a²) and μ I / (2 π a), respectivelly. The magnitude of the Poynting vector is the ratio of power (rate of flow energy) and area. Then, considering the length as L = 2 π a, I multiplied it by both the area and the intensity of energy (magnitude of the Poynting vector) to find the power.

kent davidge said:
The magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields is ρ I / (π a²) and μ I / (2 π a), respectivelly.
What is ##\rho## in that expression? I don't see how resistivity will affect the electric field. I don't see the relevance of the magnetic field either.
kent davidge said:
. The magnitude of the Poynting vector is the ratio of power (rate of flow energy) and area. Then, considering the length as L = 2 π a, I multiplied it by both the area and the intensity of the energy (magnitude of the Poynting vector) to find the power.
You are asked for the flow of energy, not the flow per unit area.
L = 2 π a makes no sense. a is an area, and the length given is not a circumference.

Seems to me you are making the question far more complicated than it is. What is the resistance of the conductor?

No, a is the radius of the cylindrical conductor. But It's okay. Now I would like to know if my explanation about why the thermal and field energies were equal is correct.

Kent, I think it would have helped if in your first post you had made it clear that you were dealing with the Poynting vector. (Therefore, DrClaude's comment:smile:)

You did not show any of your work in the first post, so it was not evident how you got your expression for the rate at which field energy is flowing into the section of the conductor.

Does your answer agree with what you would calculate to be the rate at which energy is being dissipated inside the material due to the current flowing through a resistance?

kent davidge said:
No, a is the radius of the cylindrical conductor.
Sorry, my mistake. But the rest of my comments stand.

Related to Flow of energy in a cylindrical conductor

1. What is the flow of energy in a cylindrical conductor?

The flow of energy in a cylindrical conductor is known as electrical current. It is the movement of electrically charged particles, called electrons, through the conductor.

2. How does energy flow through a cylindrical conductor?

Energy flows through a cylindrical conductor by the movement of electrons. When a voltage is applied to the conductor, the electrons are pushed through the material, creating an electrical current.

3. What factors affect the flow of energy in a cylindrical conductor?

The flow of energy in a cylindrical conductor can be affected by several factors, such as the material of the conductor, the cross-sectional area, the length of the conductor, and the voltage applied.

4. How is the flow of energy measured in a cylindrical conductor?

The flow of energy, or electrical current, in a cylindrical conductor is measured in units of amperes (A), named after the French scientist Andre-Marie Ampere. One ampere is equal to the flow of one coulomb of charge per second.

5. What is the relationship between voltage and energy flow in a cylindrical conductor?

The relationship between voltage and energy flow, or electrical current, in a cylindrical conductor is described by Ohm's law. It states that the current is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This means that as the voltage increases, the energy flow also increases, and vice versa.