Fleeing earth at the speed of light

In summary, the closest planet/moon capable of supporting life outside of our solar system is currently unknown. Colonizing Mars may be the most feasible option for human settlement. Regarding the possibility of traveling to another habitable planet at near the speed of light, it is theoretically possible due to the effects of time dilation. However, as relative velocities between objects approach the speed of light, the laws of Newton become less accurate and the Lorentz transforms must be used.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok i was wondering something. Whats the closest planet/moon capable (possibly with human interevention) of supporting life that isn't in our solar system? And If you age slowely nearing the speed of life, wouldn't we be able to leave our solar system and reach another planet if we can go near the speed of light (and we'd age much slower so we could actually live out journey)? I know mass has to go incredibly high but its just a mental excercise :)

Physics news on Phys.org
We have only begun to find other planetary systems in the last few years. There is virtually NO information about conditions on any of the planets found. So the only answer to your question is "We do not know".

and NO! Your mass would not change if you imbarked on a high speed interstellar journey.

Well i meant if we did find one and had to leave Earth and we sent over equipment to sustain life and all that. My main focus on would we make the journey in only a few years of our time even though it might be millions of light years away?

And why does everyone say as your speed -> c, mass - inf.

Pengwuino said:
Well i meant if we did find one and had to leave Earth and we sent over equipment to sustain life and all that. My main focus on would we make the journey in only a few years of our time even though it might be millions of light years away?

I think it would be the most cost-effective to colonize Mars. In terms of other habitable planets, however, my guess is that they wouldn't be that far. I would be very surprised, however, if we found one nearby capable of supporting us sans equipment.

Pengwuino said:

And why does everyone say as your speed -> c, mass - inf.
Because they do not understand Relativity?

Suppose you were in a spaceship accelerating away from the Earth with a known constant force applied. To a stationary observer on Earth using the Laws of Newton, the ship's acceleration would appear to be reduced as it neared the speed of light AS IF ITS MASS were increasing. In fact the occupants of the ship may have been on a forced diet and actually lost mass as the journey progressed. The crew of the ship would not experience any reduction in their acceleration nor any change in mass nor would the operation of their lights change. They would note, however, that the Earth was not receding as fast as NEWTON would predict for their rate of acceleration.

The answer is that for relative velocities between 2 objects Newtons laws loose accuracy as you exceed a separation velocity which is a measurable fraction of c. At separation velocities greater then about .1c you must use the Lorentz transforms to correctly surmise the distance traveled.

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
And If you age slowely nearing the speed of life, wouldn't we be able to leave our solar system and reach another planet if we can go near the speed of light (and we'd age much slower so we could actually live out journey)?
Yes, in theory. See http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Fleeing earth at the speed of light

1. How is it possible to flee earth at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is theoretically possible for an object to travel at the speed of light. However, it would require an infinite amount of energy to reach this speed and it is currently not possible with our current technology.

2. Would it be possible for humans to survive traveling at the speed of light?

No, it would not be possible for humans to survive traveling at the speed of light. The immense acceleration and energy required would be lethal to the human body. Additionally, the effects of time dilation would cause the journey to feel instantaneous for the traveler, but thousands of years would pass on Earth.

3. What would happen to the Earth if it were to suddenly flee at the speed of light?

If the Earth were to suddenly flee at the speed of light, it would experience extreme gravitational forces and would likely be torn apart. Additionally, the planet would be traveling at a speed faster than its own orbit, causing it to leave the solar system.

4. Is there a limit to how fast an object can flee from Earth?

According to the laws of physics, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit that cannot be exceeded. No object, including the Earth, can flee faster than the speed of light.

5. What would be the consequences of Earth fleeing at the speed of light?

The consequences of Earth fleeing at the speed of light would be catastrophic. The planet would be ripped apart and leave its orbit, causing major disruptions in the solar system. The sudden disappearance of Earth would also have significant effects on the rest of the universe.