Flame test and black (or gray) body

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Test
In summary, It seems that the black corrosion on copper is probably caused by CuS, which is a byproduct of sulfur in the environment.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm having an extremely hard time to understand what's going on on the following.
Say I have a copper rod and I heat it up with a lighter. I know it will emits photons/EM radiation according to Stefan-Boltzmann's law, namely [itex]P=A \sigma T ^4[/itex] per unit area and that the spectrum is continuous. So far so good.
Now say I take copper powder and put it under the lighter flame. Each dust of copper doesn't seem to behave like a black body since the emission spectrum isn't continuous, it's monochromatic! Or at least discrete. Each dust of copper still contains say around 10 ^21 copper atoms, so that I don't understand why the spectrum isn't anything like the one of the copper rod.
I'm clearly misunderstanding/missing something, please help me to understand what's going on. Thank you! (very very much!)

P.S.:Reformulating my question: What is the difference between heating up black body powder and a black body?
Why isn't the spectra of the powder continuous like the one of a black body? I do know that the electrons in copper atoms change of "orbit" and they emit a photon when doing so, but I don't understand why it happens only in the powder form of copper.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine in the case of the rod heat gets conducted from the source and spread fairly evenly due to the lattice structure. With the powder I think there are probably more ionization events (B/c heat cannot conduct as easily) which would lead to the discrete emission structure.

The difference is that grains of copper powder heat up to much higher temperature so some of it evapourates - providing enough gaseous copper to emit its characteristic green light (not quite monochromatic, but definitely not continuous).

BTW - don't believe copper behaves like a black (or even gray) body - better use Stefan's law as very rough approximation only.

You've also overestimated size of dust 10^21 atoms is not a 'dust' but rather 'coarse sand'.

fluidistic said:
<snip>
Say I have a copper rod and I heat it up with a lighter. I know it will emits photons/EM radiation according to Stefan-Boltzmann's law, namely [itex]P=A \sigma T ^4[/itex] per unit area and that the spectrum is continuous. So far so good.
Now say I take copper powder and put it under the lighter flame. Each dust of copper doesn't seem to behave like a black body since the emission spectrum isn't continuous, it's monochromatic! Or at least discrete. Each dust of copper still contains say around 10 ^21 copper atoms, so that I don't understand why the spectrum isn't anything like the one of the copper rod.
I'm clearly misunderstanding/missing something, please help me to understand what's going on. Thank you! (very very much!)
<snip>

Good question- one major difference is in the mechanism of emission- for the metal bar, the mechanism is thermal emission, while for flame spectroscopy, the mechanism is chemical oxidation:

http://www.tempe.mi.cnr.it/zizak/tutorial/cairol06-flame-emission.pdf

http://faculty.sdmiramar.edu/fgarce...nalyticalAbsorptionMethod_AAS_PerkinElmer.PDF

Thus, in flame spectroscopy, the emission is due to individual atomic events (redox reactions)

Andy Resnick said:
for flame spectroscopy, the mechanism is chemical oxidation ...
individual atomic events (redox reactions)
Are you sure? Aren't those just transitions between chemically neutral different states of single atoms (electron flipping between 3s and 3p for yellow sodium line)?

xts said:
Are you sure? Aren't those just transitions between chemically neutral different states of single atoms (electron flipping between 3s and 3p for yellow sodium line)?

I'm not sure, honestly. I thought flame spectroscopy hinges on combustion of the material of interest, but perhaps the flame simply provides sufficient energy to populate excited states of isolated atoms.

we have one copper 8mm. rod and we draw and make it .3 mm by drawing m/c. And also doing anneling. But after some days copper become black in the cable. what is the reason for copper black & how i found the problem and solve it.

Isn't it some kind of corrosion?

yes its corrosion but i didn' know the reason. Please tell me the reason

I am not the chemist, so I am not sure, I may only speculate that black corrosion on copper is probably CuS, caused by sulfur in the environment (eg contact with vulcanised rubber), or by even small amount of H2S or organic compounds conatining sulfur in the air. Someone eats lots of onion and then hiccups

Related to Flame test and black (or gray) body

1. What is a flame test and how does it work?

A flame test is a qualitative test used to identify the presence of certain elements in a compound. It works by heating a sample in a flame, causing the electrons in the atoms of the sample to become excited and jump to higher energy levels. When these electrons return to their ground state, they emit light at specific wavelengths, which can be used to identify the elements present in the sample.

2. How accurate is the flame test in identifying elements?

The flame test is not always accurate in identifying elements, as the color of the flame can be affected by many factors such as impurities, the temperature of the flame, and the concentration of the element in the sample. It is best used as a preliminary test and should be confirmed by other methods such as spectroscopy.

3. What is a black (or gray) body and how is it related to thermal radiation?

A black body is an ideal theoretical object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and reflects none. A gray body is a similar object that absorbs a fraction of the radiation that falls on it. These concepts are related to thermal radiation as black and gray bodies emit thermal radiation according to their temperature and properties, such as their spectral emissivity and absorptivity.

4. How is the color of a flame related to the color of a black (or gray) body?

The color of a flame is related to the color of a black or gray body in that both are caused by the emission of light at specific wavelengths. In a flame, the color is produced by excited electrons emitting light, while in a black or gray body, the color is produced by thermal radiation. Both can be used to identify the elements or temperature of a substance.

5. What are some applications of flame tests and black (or gray) body radiation?

Flame tests are commonly used in chemistry labs to identify the presence of certain elements in a compound. Black (or gray) body radiation has many applications, including in thermodynamics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is also used in everyday objects such as light bulbs and ovens, which rely on thermal radiation to produce light and heat.