Fixing Ship Ramp: Winch vs Windlass

• I
  • Thread starter rodoka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    winch
In summary, @anorlunda thinks that it is better to connect the wire rope to the edge of the ramp rather than the middle. @new_member wants to know what other people's opinions are. @anorlunda thinks that if the Block-pulley is placed a bit right, the ramp will not be pulled.
rodoka
Hi i got a problem and i want to share it with you guys. i am new in the forum. Today i was in a shipyard trying to fix a ship's ramp.

The sketch shows that the wire rope is connected to the middle of the ramp. But i think that it is better to connect it to the edge of the ramp because the winch will work more restful. But in the other hand if i put it on the edge, the winch will not bring the ramp up instead of pulling it. what's your opinion? what if the Block-pulley should be placed little bit right? The ramp is about 250kg weight Sorry for bad the english its not my native language
Screenshot_29.png

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

By edge, I assume you mean the far end of the ramp. In your drawing, the end of the ramp will be high above the pulley when the ramp is up nearly 90 degrees. At that angle, the cable will be pulling down on the ramp, not pulling to the left.

The best place to attach the cable is the point where the end of the cable is near the pulley when the ramp is fully raised.

Likes jim mcnamara, sophiecentaur and Dale
thank you very much!

anorlunda said:
The best place to attach the cable is the point where the end of the cable is near the pulley when the ramp is fully raised.
That would be very good as a rule of thumb but you can see mechanisms all over the place that don't follow that rule. The angles that are used in Hydraulic Cranes often appear far from optimal (intuitively) so you would need to do some detailed calculations of a range of ramp angles. Using simple calculations of Moments about the pivot for various angles would allow you to put points on a graph. That would be a good exercise to give you an appreciation of the way the force varies according to fixing position and elevation angle. If you don't fancy the Maths, you could draw a number of diagrams for yourself to demonstrate the useful points that @anorlunda makes. There may be a number of practical details of the ship's layout that could limit your options(?).
If you are bothered about available force from the winch, you can always add a pulley system to give you some mechanical advantage (at the expense of time taken to raise the ramp, of course).
PS Could there ever be an extra load, getting the lift started from the grooves in the roadway?

Hey wait a minute, that’s a hull schematic of the Enterprise! (At What ship yard do you work?)

Likes anorlunda

Related to Fixing Ship Ramp: Winch vs Windlass

1. What is the difference between a winch and a windlass for fixing a ship ramp?

A winch is a mechanical device used to pull or lift heavy objects using a rotating drum and a cable or rope. A windlass, on the other hand, is a type of winch specifically designed for lifting and lowering anchors on a ship. Both can be used to fix a ship ramp, but a windlass is better suited for this task due to its stronger pulling power and ability to handle larger loads.

2. How does a winch or windlass work to fix a ship ramp?

A winch or windlass works by using a motor or manual crank to rotate the drum, which then winds up the cable or rope attached to the ship ramp. This pulling force allows the ramp to be lifted or lowered as needed for repairs or maintenance.

3. Which is more cost-effective, a winch or windlass for fixing a ship ramp?

In general, a windlass may be more expensive than a winch due to its specialized design and capabilities. However, it may also be more cost-effective in the long run as it can handle heavier loads and may require less maintenance and repairs over time.

4. Are there any safety considerations when using a winch or windlass to fix a ship ramp?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when using a winch or windlass for fixing a ship ramp. These include ensuring the equipment is properly maintained and operated by trained personnel, using appropriate safety gear such as gloves and eye protection, and following all safety guidelines and precautions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Can a winch or windlass be used for other purposes besides fixing a ship ramp?

Yes, both a winch and a windlass have a variety of uses in different industries. A winch can be used for tasks such as pulling vehicles out of mud or snow, while a windlass can be used for lifting and lowering heavy objects in construction or mining. However, it is important to use the appropriate equipment for each specific task to ensure safety and efficiency.