Lifting vs Pulling: Chain Hoist vs Hand Winch

• Thread starter Gsu student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between hoists and come-a-longs in terms of their strength and force required to lift or pull objects. It was explained that the force required to lift has to overcome gravity, while the force required to pull has to overcome friction. The conversation also mentioned that typically, chain hoists have a higher safe working load than come-a-longs.
Gsu student
Ok so I was at the store today and I notised that the hoist they sell seam to be a lot beefyer and stronger lookin them the come a longs ie hand winches and I was wondering why that was dose it take more force to lift 2 ton then it takes to pull the same, I was looking at a 1 ton chain hoist and it's all steel and thick chain looks real strong yet right next to it is a 4 ton puller made from thin steal and wire rope, now granted the puller dose use a pullie but that dosent change the fact that the force on the unit is still greater
if anyone can help please let me know. Would a chain hoist pull more that a similar rated hand winch?

Physics news on Phys.org
Force required to lift has to overcome gravity
F = mass* gravity

Force required to pull has to overcome friction.
Friction Force = Force from gravity * Friction coefficient.

Friction fore is much smaller then gravitational force, as coefficients of friction are much less then 1 usually.

Yes it's a question of force.
If you lift a 1 ton object you need a force of 1000kg * 9.8m'/s^2 (ie g) = 9800N
To pull the same object would depend on the friction between the object and the surface, for steel wheels on a steel rail (such as a railway car) the friction would be about 0.1% so you only have to pull with a force of 9.8N, equal to lifting only a 1kg.

For very low friction like oil bearings it's possible to push huge masses, like a 100ton telescope, with almost a finger tip.

Gsu student said:
Ok so I was at the store today and I notised that the hoist they sell seam to be a lot beefyer and stronger lookin them the come a longs ie hand winches and I was wondering why that was dose it take more force to lift 2 ton then it takes to pull the same, I was looking at a 1 ton chain hoist and it's all steel and thick chain looks real strong yet right next to it is a 4 ton puller made from thin steal and wire rope, now granted the puller dose use a pullie but that dosent change the fact that the force on the unit is still greater
if anyone can help please let me know. Would a chain hoist pull more that a similar rated hand winch?

If the chain hoist and the come-a-long have the same SWL (safe working load) of 2 tons (or whatever), then they can pull or lift the same amount. The position is irrelevant. I can take a come-a-long (puller) rated for 2 tons (SWL) and use it vertically to lift 2 tons.

What you are probably noting is that most come-a-longs have typically lower SWL's than do chain hoist for the reasons stated above.

CS

Related to Lifting vs Pulling: Chain Hoist vs Hand Winch

1. What is the difference between a chain hoist and a hand winch?

A chain hoist is a mechanical device that uses a chain and pulley system to lift or lower heavy objects. It is typically powered by a motor or manual cranking. A hand winch, on the other hand, is a manual device that uses a spool and crank to pull and lift objects. It requires physical effort from the user to operate.

2. Which is more efficient for lifting heavy objects?

A chain hoist is generally more efficient than a hand winch for lifting heavy objects. This is because it is powered by a motor or manual cranking, which allows for greater lifting capacity and less physical effort from the user. A hand winch, while still capable of lifting heavy objects, requires more physical effort and may not be suitable for very heavy loads.

3. Can a hand winch be used for pulling or lifting?

Yes, a hand winch can be used for both pulling and lifting. It is a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of tasks, such as pulling vehicles out of mud or snow, lifting boat anchors, or hoisting materials onto a roof.

4. What are the safety considerations when using a chain hoist or hand winch?

Both a chain hoist and hand winch should be used with caution and following proper safety procedures. This includes ensuring the equipment is well-maintained, using appropriate lifting techniques, and not exceeding the weight capacity of the device. It is important to also wear appropriate personal protective equipment and have a clear understanding of how to operate the equipment before use.

5. Which is more suitable for outdoor use - a chain hoist or hand winch?

Both a chain hoist and hand winch can be suitable for outdoor use, depending on the specific needs of the task. However, a hand winch may be more portable and easier to use in remote outdoor locations where there may not be access to a power source for a chain hoist. It is important to consider factors such as weight capacity, terrain, and weather conditions when deciding which tool is more suitable for outdoor use.