First Year Special Relativity Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the distance between two planets, A and B, and the launch of two probes from each planet. The question is whether there is a reference frame where the events are simultaneous and occur at the same position. The attempt at a solution includes using the space-time interval and the Lorentz Transformations and Time Dilation equations. However, the individual is struggling and may need to do more studying before attempting the problem.
NotAnAstrologer

Homework Statement

Planets A and B are 10 light years apart in the reference frame of planet A. A deep-space probe is launched from A, and 5 years later (in reference frame A) a similar probe is launched from B. Does a reference frame exist in which these two events (a) are simultaneous and (b) occur at the same position. *Note*: Parts (a) and (b) are separate from each other so, you have to find one reference frame where they are simultaneous and then another where they occur at the same position. Δx = 10 Ly, T@Event 1 = 0 years, T@Event 2 = 5 years.

Homework Equations

In the textbook this is part of the time dilation section so... Tb = γTa, Lorentz Transformations, s2 = (cΔt)2 - Δx2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it using the space-time interval but, I think it might have something to do with the Lorentz Transformations and Time Dilation equations.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly did you try? Show your work.

vela said:
What exactly did you try? Show your work.
Erased it or threw it out because I thought it was wrong. I still have the diagram I drew though and I wrote down all the givens. Tbh, the more I think about it the more lost I get. No idea where to start without a velocity.

Sounds like you need to do a bit more studying then before attempting this problem.

vela said:
Sounds like you need to do a bit more studying then before attempting this problem.
+1 on that.

Actually I think I figured it out. Ta = Tb, using this knowledge I'm using one of the Lorentz transformation equations to isolate for V.

Related to First Year Special Relativity Question

What is the theory of special relativity?

The theory of special relativity is a cornerstone of modern physics, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the speed of an object. It also explains the phenomenon of time dilation, where time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds.

What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

The theory of special relativity deals with objects moving at a constant velocity in a straight line, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory, as it explains the behavior of objects in both accelerated and non-accelerated frames of reference.

What is the importance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol 'c', is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe, and it is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Special relativity shows that the speed of light is a fundamental limit that cannot be surpassed.

How does special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has revolutionized our understanding of space and time, and has led to the development of technologies such as GPS. It has also influenced other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, and has played a crucial role in the development of modern cosmology.

What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has a wide range of real-world applications. Some examples include the GPS system, which relies on precise timing and the effects of relativity to function accurately. The theory has also been used in the development of nuclear power and nuclear weapons. Additionally, special relativity has been crucial in the development of medical imaging technologies such as PET and MRI scanners.