First Order Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equation

In summary, the author is trying to solve a differential equation in polar coordinates, but is having difficulty.
Chipset3600
Hello, can you guys help me please with this differential equation from Demidovitch book, is to find the solution transforming to polar coordinates :

View attachment 1479

Attachments

• ode.jpg
    ode.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chipset3600 said:
Hello, can you guys help me please with this differential equation from Demidovitch book:

View attachment 1479

What are you supposed to do? Find the steady-states? Plot the vector field? Also, in the the notes section, there are notes on Adv ODEs which are about nonlinear ODEs, dynamical systems, and bifurications.

dwsmith said:
What are you supposed to do? Find the steady-states? Plot the vector field? Also, in the the notes section, there are notes on Adv ODEs which are about nonlinear ODEs, dynamical systems, and bifurications.
is to find the solution transforming to polar coordinates.

Chipset3600 said:
is to find the solution transforming to polar coordinates.

Hmm. If it was $x^{2}+y^{2}$ under the square root, I could believe that that method would gain you something. But it's $x^{2}+y^{3}$ - rather asymmetric. I played around with this DE a bit, and couldn't get anything to work. Maybe Jester could weigh in on it.

Ackbach said:
Hmm. If it was $x^{2}+y^{2}$ under the square root, I could believe that that method would gain you something. But it's $x^{2}+y^{3}$ - rather asymmetric. I played around with this DE a bit, and couldn't get anything to work. Maybe Jester could weigh in on it.
I played with various substitutions to get rid of that square root and got nowhere. In frustration I turned to Mathematica (which is usually a bit better than Wolfram|Alpha) and it flatly refused to solve the equation. I tried various versions of the equation and Mathematica didn't give me anything there either. Let the Calculus gurus around here have the final say if it can be solved in closed forms, but I don't think it can be done other than numerically.

-Dan

topsquark said:
I played with various substitutions to get rid of that square root and got nowhere. In frustration I turned to Mathematica (which is usually a bit better than Wolfram|Alpha) and it flatly refused to solve the equation. I tried various versions of the equation and Mathematica didn't give me anything there either. Let the Calculus gurus around here have the final say if it can be solved in closed forms, but I don't think it can be done other than numerically.

-Dan

I agree.
Polar coordinates do not appear to have any use for this DE.
The best we can do is a numerical solution, or analyze some properties of the solution.

Properties I can see is that for $y=0$ and $x\ge0$, the DE is indeterminate.
For $y=0$ and $x<0$ we have a vertical tangent.
And for $y < -|x|^{2/3}$ the solution is undefined.

Jester mentioned to me, in a PM, that if the author suggested polar coordinates, that it was a typo and the DE is
$$y'= \frac{ \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}-x}{y},$$
in which case switching to polar indeed makes the DE much simpler.

Ackbach said:
Jester mentioned to me, in a PM, that if the author suggested polar coordinates, that it was a typo and the DE is
$$y'= \frac{ \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}-x}{y},$$
in which case switching to polar indeed makes the DE much simpler.

Like everyone else, I tried various methods with no success, and I too began to wonder if the problems was incorrectly given in the book and should have been given as Jester suggests. Before post #3 was edited to mention polar coordinates, I looked at it as possibly meant to be solved using the substitution \(\displaystyle v=\frac{y}{x}\).

MarkFL said:
Like everyone else, I tried various methods with no success, and I too began to wonder if the problems was incorrectly given in the book and should have been given as Jester suggests. Before post #3 was edited to mention polar coordinates, I looked at it as possibly meant to be solved using the substitution \(\displaystyle v=\frac{y}{x}\).
I tried both v = y/x and v = x/y. Both methods gave me something that looked like it might work out to give some kind of elliptic integral but I couldn't finish putting it in that form either. I got a little ways into series expansion but I got a headache before I got too far into it. That square root is a bear for a series solution.

I'd like to hear what Chipset3600 has to say about the matter at this point.

-Dan

If we start from:
$$y'=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2} - x}{y}$$
and switch to polar coordinates, then:
\begin{array}{lcl}
dy&=&\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2} - x}{y}dx \\
d(r\sin\phi)&=&\frac{r-r\cos\phi}{r\sin\phi}d(r\cos\phi) \\
dr \sin\phi +r\cos\phi d\phi &=& \frac{1-\cos\phi}{\sin\phi} (dr\cos\phi - r\sin\phi d\phi) \\
\cdots \\
\frac{\sin\phi d\phi}{1 - \cos\phi} &=& -\frac {dr}{r} \\
\ln(1 - \cos\phi) &=& -\ln(r) + C_1 \\
1 - \cos\phi &=& \frac {C} r \\
r\cos\phi &=& r - C \\
x &=& \sqrt{x^2+y^2} - C \\
x + C &=& \sqrt{x^2+y^2} \\
x^2 + 2Cx+C^2 &=& x^2+y^2 \\
y^2 &=& 2Cx+C^2
\end{array}

It's actually even easier than I like Serena's post.

If $x = r \cos \theta$ and $y = r \sin \theta$ then $x^2+y^2 = r^2$, so $x + y \dfrac{dy}{dx} = r \dfrac{dr}{dx}$ and the ODE

$ y \dfrac{dy}{dx} + x = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}$ becomes $r\dfrac{dr}{dx} = r$ and the rest is easy.

Related to First Order Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equation

1. What is a first order nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

A first order nonlinear ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivative. It is called "nonlinear" because the derivative of the function is not directly proportional to the function itself.

2. What are some applications of first order nonlinear ordinary differential equations?

First order nonlinear ordinary differential equations are commonly used to model various physical, biological, and chemical phenomena. They can be found in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include population growth models, heat transfer equations, and electrical circuits.

3. How do you solve a first order nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

Solving a first order nonlinear ordinary differential equation involves finding the function that satisfies the given equation. There are various methods for solving these types of equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The solution can also be approximated using numerical methods.

4. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

A linear ordinary differential equation has a derivative that is directly proportional to the function, while a nonlinear ordinary differential equation has a derivative that is not directly proportional to the function. This means that the solution to a linear ordinary differential equation is a straight line, while the solution to a nonlinear ordinary differential equation is a curve.

5. Can first order nonlinear ordinary differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, first order nonlinear ordinary differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because they are not as well-behaved as linear ordinary differential equations and may have more than one function that satisfies the given equation. However, these solutions may not always be easy to find and may require complex mathematical techniques.