First order linear PDE-the idea of characteristic curves

In summary, the presence of characteristic curves, also known as level curves, in first order linear PDEs can help us find the general solution to the PDE. By setting the solution u(x,y) as a function of the characteristic curves (y2-x2), we can find the general solution u(x,y) = f(y2-x2) where f is any arbitrary differentiable function of one variable. This is because the surface formed by the level curves will satisfy the PDE, and there are infinite possible functions that have the same type of level curves.
kingwinner
"Consider a first order linear PDE. (e.g. y ux + x uy = 0)
If u(x,y) is constant along the curves y2 - x2 = c, then this implies that the general solution to the PDE is u(x,y) = f(y2 - x2) where f is an arbitrary differentiable funciton of one variable. We call the curves along which u(x,y) is constant the characteristic curves."
===============================

I don't understand the implication above highlighted in red. The idea of characteristic curves seems to be very important in solving first order linear PDEs, but I am never able to completely understand the idea of it. Why would finding the characteristic curves help us find the general solution to the PDE?

Thanks for explaining!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For that link, they seem to be using a different approach. In particular, the characteristic equation is different and not matching that in my textbook...so I'm getting more confused(?) :(

kingwinner said:
"Consider a first order linear PDE. (e.g. y ux + x uy = 0)
If u(x,y) is constant along the curves y2 - x2 = c, then this implies that the general solution to the PDE is u(x,y) = f(y2 - x2) where f is an arbitrary differentiable funciton of one variable. We call the curves along which u(x,y) is constant the characteristic curves."
===============================

I don't understand the implication above highlighted in red. The idea of characteristic curves seems to be very important in solving first order linear PDEs, but I am never able to completely understand the idea of it. Why would finding the characteristic curves help us find the general solution to the PDE?

Thanks for explaining!

I admit it's a little tricky to see. You understand that for a solution u(x,y), the level curves satisfy dy/dx = x/y in your example and these curves are of the form y2-x2=c.

These happen to be hyperbolas in your example.

Now any function that has those level curves will be a solution to the PDE because the surface is made up of its level curves. Think of a mountain being the aggregate of its level curves (contour lines). Of course u(x,y) = y2-x2 is such a solution. But that is just one.

What about u(x,y) = exp(y2-x2)? It has the same type of level curves. Or sin(y2-x2).

In fact you can take any differentiable function of (y2-x2):

u(x,y) = f(y2-x2)

To verify this take

ux = f'(y2-x2)(-2x)
uy = f'(y2-x2))(2y)

dy/dx = - ux/uy = x/y

so u(x,y) = f(y2-x2) is a solution for any f.

Hope this helps. Sack time here.

Related to First order linear PDE-the idea of characteristic curves

1. What is a first order linear PDE?

A first order linear PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is considered linear if the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in a linear manner in the equation.

2. What are characteristic curves in the context of first order linear PDEs?

Characteristic curves are curves in the domain of the independent variables that satisfy the equation of the PDE. They are useful in solving first order linear PDEs as they help to transform the equation into a simpler form.

3. How do characteristic curves help in solving first order linear PDEs?

Characteristic curves help in solving first order linear PDEs by transforming the equation into a simpler form known as the characteristic form. This form allows for easier integration and solution of the PDE.

4. Can characteristic curves be used to solve any type of first order linear PDE?

No, characteristic curves can only be used to solve first order linear PDEs that are homogeneous (i.e. the terms do not depend on the dependent variable).

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using characteristic curves in solving first order linear PDEs?

One limitation of using characteristic curves is that they can only be used for certain types of first order linear PDEs. Additionally, the process of finding and using characteristic curves can be time-consuming and may not always lead to a solution.