First ODE of an absolute value

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of differentiating a first order differential equation with an absolute value, specifically the equation y'-y=abs(x-1). The solution involves solving two separate cases, one for x>1 and one for x<1, by integrating the equation. The general solutions for each case are then obtained.
sydneyw
so I understand the basic premise of differentiating a first ODE, or I thought I did. I have the equation y'-y=abs(x-1). I have no idea of how to go about this. Can someone walk me through how to do this? I'm attempting to study for a test and this is one of the practice questions he gave us so I feel as though I'm in some serious trouble if I don't learn how to do this! Thank you much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you solve ##y'-y=x-1##? Can you solve ##y'-y=1-x##? These are the two cases you have depending on whether ##x>1## or ##x<1##. Solve them separately.

First, you don't want to "differentiate" the ODE, you want to integrate it.

And the simplest way to handle the absolute value is to use the definition. If [itex]x\ge 1[/itex], x- 1 is non-negative so |x- 1|= x- 1 and your differential equation becomes dy/dx- y= x- 1.
If x< 1, x- 1 is negative so|x- 1|= -(x- 1)= 1- x and your differential equation becomes dy/dx= 1- x.

Integrate those to get two general solutions, one valid for x> 1, the other valid for x< 1.

Related to First ODE of an absolute value

1. What is a first order differential equation of an absolute value?

A first order differential equation of an absolute value is an equation that involves a function with an absolute value, and its first derivative. It can be written as dy/dx = f(x,|y|), where f(x,|y|) is a continuous function.

2. How do you solve a first order differential equation of an absolute value?

To solve a first order differential equation of an absolute value, you can split it into two cases: when y is positive and when y is negative. For each case, you can use the chain rule to calculate the derivative of the absolute value function. Then, you can solve the resulting two equations separately.

3. What is the general solution of a first order differential equation of an absolute value?

The general solution of a first order differential equation of an absolute value is a set of all possible solutions to the equation. It includes both the solutions obtained for positive and negative values of y. The general solution can be expressed in terms of a constant, which can be determined by applying initial conditions.

4. Can a first order differential equation of an absolute value have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order differential equation of an absolute value can have multiple solutions. This is because the absolute value function is not differentiable at the point where y = 0. Therefore, the equation can have different solutions depending on the value of y at that point.

5. In what fields is the concept of first order differential equations of an absolute value used?

The concept of first order differential equations of an absolute value is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is particularly useful in modeling real-life situations that involve rates of change, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It is also used in financial modeling to calculate interest rates and stock prices.