First Internship (advice anyone?)

• Thread starter JaqAl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the conversation revolves around two people discussing their research internships. One of them has been offered an internship at Argonne through the DOE and is seeking advice from others who have interned at national labs. The other person is also doing their first internship and is facing difficulties in their assignment. They discuss the challenges and excitement of working in a factory and share details about their research projects. They also touch upon the topic of different internship programs and their value in terms of research experience.
JaqAl
Hey guys. :biggrin:

I just recently was offered my first research internship as an undergrad (community college student, so it's been difficult) at Argonne through the DOE. I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has interned at Argonne (or has held DOE internships at other national labs) before and, if so, could give me an idea of what to expect.

Cheers,

JaqAl

Physics news on Phys.org
Great!
I am doing my 1st internship too now..
I find difficulties also to make an inspection machine...

Anw, what is DOE?

DOE = Department of Energy.

I got my internship through a DOE sponsored program (CCI) and it doesn't start until this Summer.

Where is yours?

Yap, I realize it is difficult too here...
But I found the challenge in every single day assignment I must finish, because It is related to my final project.
I am doing my internship in Dharma Controlcable.

Anw, when you are offered, you must be told about what the research is, right?
From now on, you could explore your imagination, it seems fun.
Well, my enthusiasm comes from passion to contribute and serve my company.

Congratulations! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jealous, I'd love to get an internship at a place like that.

Oh really?
You like to work in a factory?

Hmm, anyway what your research is about?
And what do you plan to do there?

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been terribly busy lately.

My research project is in the physics division and has to with the fabrication/processing of a superconducting niobium resonant cavity. I'm not really familiar with the technology, but I've started reading up on some of the background and so far it seems terribly interesting.ehilge: Yes, I'm really excited about it. I in no way had any expectations when I applied, but it just goes to show you the possible outcomes of applying to every program you can find even if you don't think you'll get in.

Also, purely from a curiosity standpoint, which of the two generally look better as far as research goes, SULIs or REUs?

Related to First Internship (advice anyone?)

1. What is the importance of a first internship?

A first internship is important because it allows you to gain practical experience in your field of study, build your resume, and make professional connections that can benefit your future career.

2. How do I find a first internship?

To find a first internship, you can start by researching companies or organizations in your field and contacting them directly. You can also use online job platforms and career fairs to find internship opportunities. Networking with professors, peers, and professionals in your field can also lead to potential internship opportunities.

3. What should I look for in a first internship?

When looking for a first internship, you should consider the type of work you will be doing, the company's reputation and values, the potential for mentorship and learning opportunities, and the location and duration of the internship. It is important to choose an internship that aligns with your career goals and allows you to gain valuable skills and experience.

4. How can I make the most out of my first internship?

To make the most out of your first internship, it is important to have a positive attitude, be proactive and take initiative, ask questions and seek feedback, and network with your colleagues. You should also set goals for yourself and strive to achieve them during your internship, as well as reflect on your experiences and use them to improve your future career prospects.

5. What advice do you have for someone starting their first internship?

My advice for someone starting their first internship is to be open-minded and willing to learn, take on new challenges, communicate effectively with your supervisor and colleagues, and maintain a professional attitude and work ethic. It is also important to ask for help when needed and to make the most out of every opportunity presented to you during your internship.