Fire an arrow at a moose as it runs away

• Thread starter Girn261
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, the problem involves a moose running away at 25m/s and an arrow fired at 30 degrees when the moose is 120m away. The goal is to find the velocity of the arrow needed to hit the moose. To solve this, equations of motion are used to express the distance and height of the arrow as functions of time. The initial distance and velocity of the moose are also taken into account. The final answer requires expressing time as a function of gravity and the y-component of the arrow's velocity.
Girn261
http://imgur.com/a/FKkHL

1. Homework Statement

A moose is running away at 25m/s. You fire an arrow at 30 degrees when it's 120m away. What must the velocity of the arrow be in order to hit it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

FKkHL

Please see attached picture, I'd type it out but I'm unsure how some of you type it out in the box which allows for several different math notations etc and so forth.

I assume it's because the 120m in the quadratic equation should be a postive and not a negative? But the distance is increasing as the moose runs away

Physics news on Phys.org
Girn261 said:
But the distance is increasing as the moose runs away

Exactly. For starters, what you want to do is express your range ##R## as the sum of the initial distance and the distance the moose has traveled from that point at time ##t##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Exactly. For starters, what you want to do is express your range ##R## as the sum of the initial distance and the distance the moose has traveled from that point at time ##t##.

I did put 120+x=2.548u , hmm. Anymore tips?

What is ##x##? Express it as a function of ##t##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
What is ##x##? Express it as a function of ##t##.

Hmm X is S (distance). Now I'm so confused haha. This problem was tough for me.

##x## is the distance traveled by the moose running at speed ##25\frac{m}{s}##. What distance does it travel after four seconds of running away?

Eclair_de_XII said:
##x## is the distance traveled by the moose running at speed ##25\frac{m}{s}##. What distance does it travel after four seconds of running away?

100m , S=vt. But both S and t are unknowns in the equation. Hmmm

Girn261 said:
##S=vt##

Okay, let's say then that ##S## is the distance that the moose runs away. It's good that you realize that ##S(t)=vt##. It's even better that you know that you have to find ##t##. It's time to look at your equations of motion. This will likely take a while, by the way. First off, let's create a new time variable ##t_0##--the time it takes for your arrow to reach its maximum height in its trajectory. You want to take the ##y## component of your ##u## velocity and calculate how long it takes to fall to zero. Can you do that?

Likes Girn261
Eclair_de_XII said:
Okay, let's say then that ##S## is the distance that the moose runs away. It's good that you realize that ##S(t)=vt##. It's even better that you know that you have to find ##t##. It's time to look at your equations of motion. This will likely take a while, by the way. First off, let's create a new time variable ##t_0##--the time it takes for your arrow to reach its maximum height in its trajectory. You want to take the ##y## component of your ##u## velocity and calculate how long it takes to fall to zero. Can you do that?

I'll try this when I get home. Thank you. So I guess the way I did it was incorrect. Finding the units to plug into the quadratic equation. I sort of followed another question that was answered the same way, but the "moose" was running towards the person instead of away from it.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Tan30=y/120m Ym=69.28 , sin30=y/25m/s Yv = 12.5
So S=vt, 69.28m=12.5t. (12.5 being y velocity component, same for S) and t is 5.54s

What I was looking for was an expression of ##t## as a function of ##v##, actually.

Anyway, tell me how to find the final velocity of an object given the initial velocity, acceleration, and time.

Eclair_de_XII said:
What I was looking for was an expression of ##t## as a function of ##v##, actually.

Anyway, tell me how to find the final velocity of an object given the initial velocity, acceleration, and time.

Vf=vi+at , hmm sorry, v=s/t

Girn261 said:
##v_f=v_i+at##

No, that's correct. Now, given a final velocity, an initial velocity, and acceleration, can you find ##t##?

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
No, that's correct. Now, given a final velocity, an initial velocity, and acceleration, can you find ##t##?

Yes you can, so I assume for intial velocity you use 25m/s and final velocity u use 12.5m/s I found earlier. And acceleration being gravity. You get time being 1.274. I have a feeling this is wrong. Confusing

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I was talking about the launch velocity of the arrow ##u##. You're not supposed to get a numerical value for ##t## yet.

@Girn261

To reiterate, you want to find the time that the y-component of ##u## (the velocity of the arrow) reaches zero. So express ##t## in terms of ##g## and ##u_y##, first.

Girn261 said:
http://imgur.com/a/FKkHL

1. Homework Statement

A moose is running away at 25m/s. You fire an arrow at 30 degrees when it's 120m away. What must the velocity of the arrow be in order to hit it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

FKkHL

Please see attached picture, I'd type it out but I'm unsure how some of you type it out in the box which allows for several different math notations etc and so forth.

I assume it's because the 120m in the quadratic equation should be a postive and not a negative? But the distance is increasing as the moose runs away
I do not see your picture, so I show the problem in the attached one.
upload_2017-8-29_7-41-2.png

The mouse moves horizontally, the arrow performs projectile motion. x(t) is the distance from the point the arrow was shot at time t=0, y(t) is the height of the arrow. The mouse was at xo=120 m at t=0, moving with velocity of 25 m/s away, so its displacement is s=25t. You have to write out x(t) both for the mouse and the arrow, and also y(t) for the arrow. When the arrow hits the mouse, both x and y most be the same for them. As the mouse moves on the ground, y(t)=0 for the arrow at that moment.

With the same formula as earlier, rearranged with time as function with u as 12.5, v as 25 I get 1.27s for time
Eclair_de_XII said:
I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I was talking about the launch velocity of the arrow ##u##. You're not supposed to get a numerical value for ##t## yet.

Okay, let me just list the variables for you.

##u_y## is the y-component of your initial launch velocity
##g## is acceleration due to gravity which acts on ##u_y##
Let ##u_y=v_i## and ##a=-g##.

Can you tell me what ##v_f## is supposed to be in ##v_f=v_i+at## if you want the time at which the arrow reaches maximum height?

Eclair_de_XII said:

Can you tell me what ##v_f## is supposed to be in ##v_f=v_i+at## if you want the time at which the arrow reaches maximum height?
You do not need to work with the maximum height. That time is needed, when the arrow hits the ground as the mouse moves on the ground.

Eclair_de_XII said:

ehild said:
You do not need to work with the maximum height. That time is needed, when the arrow hits the ground as the mouse moves on the ground.

zsfyXtP.jpg

How's this look? I watched a lesson on something similar, except the moose was running towards.

Girn261 said:
View attachment 209961

How's this look? I watched a lesson on something similar, except the moose was running towards.
It looks grey on grey and I can read it. Why you did not type it in?
According to the last line, the result might be correct.

Related to Fire an arrow at a moose as it runs away

1. What are the potential risks of firing an arrow at a moose as it runs away?

Firing an arrow at a moose as it runs away can be extremely dangerous for both the moose and the person shooting the arrow. The arrow may not hit the intended target and could potentially harm other animals or people in the area. Additionally, the moose may become frightened and charge at the person shooting the arrow, causing injury or even death.

2. Is it legal to shoot a moose with an arrow as it runs away?

Laws regarding hunting and shooting animals vary by location, so it is important to check with local authorities before attempting to shoot a moose with an arrow. In some areas, it may be illegal to hunt or shoot at certain types of animals, including moose, without proper permits or licenses.

3. How accurate do I need to be when shooting an arrow at a running moose?

Accuracy is crucial when shooting at any animal, especially a running moose. Aiming for vital organs such as the heart or lungs is important for a clean and humane kill. It is also important to consider the distance and speed of the moose when aiming and to practice proper archery techniques to improve accuracy.

4. What type of arrow and bow should I use for shooting at a moose?

There are various types of arrows and bows available for hunting, but it is important to use a high-quality and properly sized arrow and bow for shooting at a moose. A heavier arrow and a bow with a high draw weight are recommended for hunting larger animals like moose, as they provide more power and penetration.

5. What should I do if I miss the moose with my arrow?

If you miss the moose with your arrow, it is important to stay calm and refrain from shooting again. Attempting to shoot again could potentially harm other animals or people in the area. It is best to wait for the moose to move out of range before attempting to retrieve your arrow and to practice proper hunting safety and ethics at all times.