Calculate Max Height & Distance of Arrow Shot at 30°

In summary, the problem presents an arrow shot at 30.0° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 50 m/s. The task is to determine the maximum height the arrow will attain and the distance of the target from the point of origin. To solve for the maximum height, the SOH CAH TOA equation is used, specifically O = H sin(theta), which gives a rise of 25 for the y-axis. However, this is not the solution. To solve for the distance of the target, an equation for constant acceleration is needed, using the given initial velocity as a starting point.
Trizz

Homework Statement

An arrow is shot at 30.0° above the horizontal. Its initial speed is 50 m/s and it hits the target.

(a) What is the maximum height the arrow will attain?
(b) The target is at the height from which the arrow was shot. How far away is it?

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

O = H sin(theta)
A = H cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For my attempt at a, I simply drew it out at first. I made a vector line pointing 30 degrees NE and 50m/s long and formed a grid around it so i could plot out a right traingle. With the measurement of the hypotunuse (50) and the degree of the angle (30), I thought I just had to find the other sides to determine the solution. So i did 50sin(30) to get 25 for the y-axis rise, but that was not the answer.

I havnt attempted part b yet because I do not know where to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
help me

You need to use the equations for constant acceleration . We are given the initial velocity, so which of those equations might be helpful here?

Related to Calculate Max Height & Distance of Arrow Shot at 30°

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height and distance of an arrow shot at 30 degrees?

The formula for calculating the maximum height and distance of an arrow shot at 30 degrees is:
Maximum Height = (Initial Velocity * sin(30) / (2 * Gravity)
Maximum Distance = (Initial Velocity^2 * sin(60)) / Gravity

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of the arrow?

The initial velocity of the arrow can be determined by measuring the speed of the arrow as it is shot from the bow. This can be done using a speedometer or by timing how long it takes for the arrow to travel a known distance.

3. What is the significance of the angle of 30 degrees in this calculation?

The angle of 30 degrees is significant because it is the optimal angle for achieving maximum distance and height for a projectile. This angle provides the perfect balance between horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity.

4. How does gravity affect the maximum height and distance of the arrow shot?

Gravity plays a crucial role in determining the maximum height and distance of the arrow shot. It is the force that pulls the arrow towards the ground, causing it to follow a parabolic trajectory. The stronger the gravity, the lower the maximum height and distance of the arrow will be.

5. Can this formula be used for arrows shot at different angles?

Yes, this formula can be used for arrows shot at different angles. However, the angle of 30 degrees is the optimal angle for maximum height and distance. If the angle is changed, the maximum height and distance will also change accordingly.