Finite Tangent product / quotient

In summary: However, the algebraic manipulation itself was quite elementary.In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the formula for $\frac{\tan mz}{\tan z}$ in terms of the tangent function, using complex numbers and de Moivre's theorem. The approach is considered elegant and straightforward.
DreamWeaver
Just for fun, eh...? (Heidy)For \(\displaystyle z \in \mathbb{R}\), and \(\displaystyle m \in 2\mathbb{N}+1\), show that:\(\displaystyle \frac{\tan mz}{\tan z}=\prod_{j=1}^{ \lfloor m/2 \rfloor } \tan\left(\frac{j\pi}{m}+z\right) \tan\left(\frac{j\pi}{m}-z\right) \)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[sp]The numbers $\theta = \frac{j\pi}{m}+z \ (-\lfloor m/2 \rfloor \leqslant j \leqslant \lfloor m/2 \rfloor)$ are the roots of the equation $\tan(m\theta) = \tan(mz).$ The formula for $\tan(m\theta)$ (for an odd number $m$) in terms of $t = \tan\theta$ is $$\tan(m\theta) = \frac{{m\choose1}t - {m\choose3}t^3 + {m\choose5}t^5 - \ldots + (-1)^{\lfloor m/2 \rfloor}t^m} {1 - {m\choose2}t^2 + {m\choose4}t^4 - \ldots + (-1)^{\lfloor m/2 \rfloor}{m\choose m-1}t^{m-1}}.$$ So the equation obtained by putting that expression equal to $\tan(mz)$ has roots $\tan\left(\frac{j\pi}{m}+z\right) \ (-\lfloor m/2 \rfloor \leqslant j \leqslant \lfloor m/2 \rfloor).$ Multiply out the fraction and the equation becomes $(-1)^{\lfloor m/2 \rfloor}t^m + \ldots - \tan(mz) = 0.$ The product of the roots is the constant term divided by the coefficient of $t^m.$ Therefore $$\prod_{j=-\lfloor m/2 \rfloor}^{\lfloor m/2 \rfloor} \tan\left(\frac{j\pi}{m}+z\right) = (-1)^{\lfloor m/2 \rfloor}\tan(mz).$$ Now divide by the middle term of the product and pair off the remaining factors to get $$ (-1)^{\lfloor m/2 \rfloor}\frac{\tan(mz)}{\tan z} = \prod_{j=1}^{ \lfloor m/2 \rfloor } \tan\left(\frac{j\pi}{m}+z\right) \tan\left(z - \frac{j\pi}{m}\right).$$ Finally, change the sign of the second of each of those pairs of factors. That will introduce $\lfloor m/2 \rfloor$ changes of sign, which will cancel with those on the left side of the equation and result in $$\frac{\tan mz}{\tan z}=\prod_{j=1}^{ \lfloor m/2 \rfloor } \tan\left(\frac{j\pi}{m}+z\right) \tan\left(\frac{j\pi}{m}-z\right).$$[/sp]

@ Opalg...

I used the standard definition of the tangent function in complex terms,

\(\displaystyle \tan \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta}- e^{-i\theta}}{ e^{i\theta}+ e^{-i\theta}}\)But your approach is far more elegant. Very nicely doen indeed! (Yes)

DreamWeaver said:
@ Opalg...

I used the standard definition of the tangent function in complex terms,

\(\displaystyle \tan \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta}- e^{-i\theta}}{ e^{i\theta}+ e^{-i\theta}}\)But your approach is far more elegant. Very nicely doen indeed! (Yes)
The formula that I used for $\tan(m\theta)$ comes straight from de Moivre's theorem, of course, so the complex numbers were definitely there in the background.

Interesting question, Heidy! This equation deals with the finite tangent product and quotient, which is a mathematical concept used to calculate the product or quotient of multiple tangent functions. In this case, we are looking at the specific scenario where z is a real number and m is an odd integer.

To prove this equation, we can start by rewriting the left side of the equation as a product of tangent functions:

\frac{\tan mz}{\tan z} = \frac{\sin mz}{\cos mz} \cdot \frac{\cos z}{\sin z} = \frac{\sin mz \cos z}{\cos mz \sin z}

Next, we can use the double angle formula for tangent to rewrite the numerator and denominator:

\sin mz \cos z = \frac{1}{2}(\sin (m+1)z + \sin (m-1)z) \cdot \frac{1}{2}(\sin z + \sin z) = \frac{1}{4}\sin (m+1)z \sin z + \frac{1}{4}\sin (m-1)z \sin z

\cos mz \sin z = \frac{1}{2}(\cos (m+1)z - \cos (m-1)z) \cdot \frac{1}{2}(\sin z + \sin z) = \frac{1}{4}\cos (m+1)z \sin z - \frac{1}{4}\cos (m-1)z \sin z

Plugging these back into the original equation, we get:

\frac{\sin mz \cos z}{\cos mz \sin z} = \frac{\frac{1}{4}\sin (m+1)z \sin z + \frac{1}{4}\sin (m-1)z \sin z}{\frac{1}{4}\cos (m+1)z \sin z - \frac{1}{4}\cos (m-1)z \sin z}

Now, we can use the sum and difference identities for sine and cosine to simplify the numerator and denominator:

\frac{\sin mz \cos z}{\cos mz \sin z} = \frac{\frac{1}{4}\sin mz \sin z}{\frac{1}{4}\cos mz \sin z} = \frac{\tan mz}{\

Related to Finite Tangent product / quotient

What is a Finite Tangent product?

A Finite Tangent product is a mathematical concept that involves multiplying a series of tangent functions together. It is often used in trigonometry and calculus to solve problems involving angles and curves.

How is a Finite Tangent product calculated?

To calculate a Finite Tangent product, you would start by writing out the tangent functions in the form of "tan(x)" where x represents an angle. Then, you would multiply these functions together and simplify the resulting expression.

What is the purpose of using a Finite Tangent product?

A Finite Tangent product is useful in solving problems involving angles and curves, as it allows for a more efficient and accurate way to calculate the values of these functions. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as engineering and physics.

What is the difference between a Finite Tangent product and a Finite Tangent quotient?

A Finite Tangent product involves multiplying tangent functions together, while a Finite Tangent quotient involves dividing tangent functions. Both concepts are used in trigonometry and calculus, but they serve different purposes and are calculated differently.

Are there any limitations to using Finite Tangent products?

Yes, there are limitations to using Finite Tangent products. For example, the product may not be defined for certain values of x, such as when the tangent function is undefined. It is important to carefully consider the domain and range of the functions involved when using Finite Tangent products in calculations.