Finite Order of Elements in Groups with Normal Subgroups

In summary: Good luck with your studies! In summary, if every element of G/H has finite order, and every element of H has finite order, then every element of G has finite order. This is shown by considering an element x in G and using the fact that Hx, an element in G/H, has finite order. Since xn is in H, it has finite order and thus x in G has finite order. This is true for both cases where mn is the order of x or a multiple of the order of x. Therefore, after studying Pinter's book and Lang's Linear Algebra, one would be ready for Artin's book.
jmjlt88
Proposition: If every element of G/H has finite order, and every element of H has finite order, then every element of G has finite order.

Proof: Let G be a group with normal subgroup H. Suppose that every element of G/H has finite order and that every element of H has finite order. We wish to show that every element of G has finite order. Let x be any element in G. Now, Hx is in G/H and by our assumption has finite order. Let n be the order of Hx. Then (Hx)n=Hxn=H. Since Hxn=H, xn ε H.* Now the element xn is in H and therefore has finite order. Let m be the order of xn. Thus xnm=e**, which implies that x in G has finite order.

QED

*Ha=H iff a ε H.

**This does not mean that mn is the order of x. There are two possibe cases. The first case is that mn is the order of x. The other case is that mn is a multiple of the order of x. But, in either case we see that the order of x in G is finite.

Do I have the right idea? Also, if correct, should a remark like ** be included in the proof. This is how I did the proof in my notes. I usually do the ** remark as a comment to myself to justify a statement.

Thanks! =)

Physics news on Phys.org

That's good!

A remark like ** is not really needed in the proof. However, it is an interesting remark and it's good that you noticed it. A nice question would be to exhibit an actual example where mn is not the order (if such an example exists).

Thanks Micromass! :) I have a quick question for you. After a thoughout treatment of Pinter's book [which by the way has a massive amount of exercises of which I am trying to do everyone] and Lang's Linear Algebra, would one be ready for something like Artin? Again, thank you so much for all your help!

jmjlt88 said:
Thanks Micromass! :) I have a quick question for you. After a thoughout treatment of Pinter's book [which by the way has a massive amount of exercises of which I am trying to do everyone] and Lang's Linear Algebra, would one be ready for something like Artin? Again, thank you so much for all your help!

Without a doubt, you'll be ready. Artin is the perfect follow-up book for Pinter. And if you managed to get through Lang, then Artin should not really be much a problem.

Related to Finite Order of Elements in Groups with Normal Subgroups

1. What is the definition of finite order of elements in groups with normal subgroups?

The finite order of an element in a group with normal subgroups is the smallest positive integer n such that the element raised to the power of n equals the identity element. In other words, it is the number of times the element must be multiplied by itself to get the identity element.

2. How is the finite order of an element related to the order of its subgroup?

In a group with normal subgroups, the order of an element must divide the order of its subgroup. This means that the finite order of an element is a factor of the order of its subgroup.

3. Can an element have a finite order in one subgroup but an infinite order in another subgroup?

Yes, this is possible. In fact, an element can have a different finite order in each of its subgroups. This is because the normal subgroups of a group may have different orders, and the finite order of an element is dependent on the order of its subgroup.

4. How does the finite order of an element affect the structure of a group?

The finite order of an element can provide information about the structure of a group. For example, if all the elements in a group have finite order, then the group is finite. Additionally, the finite order of elements can help determine the cyclic or non-cyclic nature of a group.

5. Are there any limitations on the finite order of elements in groups with normal subgroups?

Yes, there are some limitations. For example, in a finite group, the finite order of an element must be a divisor of the order of the group. Additionally, the finite order of elements in a group with normal subgroups must also follow the properties of normal subgroups, such as being closed under multiplication.