Finite Extensions - A&F Example 44.2 .... ....

In summary, the conversation is about understanding example 44.2 from Chapter 44: Finite Extensions and Constructibility Revisited in the book "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by Anderson and Feil. The main confusion is about why the basis ##\{1,\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3},\sqrt{6}\}## is chosen for ##\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}]## and why ##\sqrt{6}## is included in the basis. The justification for including ##\sqrt{6}## is that it is ##\mathbb{Q}-##linear independent from ##\{1,\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}\}##
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 44: Finite Extensions and Constructibility Revisited ... ...

I need some help in fully understanding Example 44.2 ... ...Example 44.2 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=1ccd86d5e2cab800447e497946771ed4.png
I am trying to fully understand EXACTLY why

##\{ 1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{6} \}##

is the basis chosen for ##\mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3} )## ... ... I can see why ##1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}## are in the basis ... and I understand that we need ##4## elements in the basis ...

... BUT ... why EXACTLY do we add ##\sqrt{6} = \sqrt{2} \cdot \sqrt{3}## ... an element that is already in the set generated by ##1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}## ...

... indeed, what is the rigorous justification for adding ##\sqrt{6}## ... why not add some other element ... ... for example, why not add ##\sqrt{12}## ... Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• A&F - Example 44.2 ... ....png
    A&F - Example 44.2 ... ....png
    52.8 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
##\sqrt{12} = 2\sqrt{3}## which means, they are ##\mathbb{Q}-##linear dependent. We need an element, that is ##\mathbb{Q}-##linear independent of ##\{1,\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}\}##. It doesn't have to be ##\sqrt{6}##, but in any case we have to incorporate ##\sqrt{6}## somehow, as it is contained in ##\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}]##. ##\sqrt{24}## would work.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for the help, fresh_42 ... notion of ##\mathbb{Q}##-Linear Independence clarifies things for me ...

Peter

Related to Finite Extensions - A&F Example 44.2 .... ....

1. What is a finite extension in mathematics?

A finite extension in mathematics refers to a field extension where the degree of the extension is finite. This means that the field extension is created by adding a finite number of elements to the original field.

2. How is a finite extension different from an infinite extension?

A finite extension has a finite degree, meaning that it only involves a finite number of elements being added to the original field. An infinite extension, on the other hand, has an infinite degree, meaning that it involves infinitely many elements being added to the original field.

3. What is the significance of finite extensions in algebra and number theory?

Finite extensions are important in algebra and number theory because they allow us to study and analyze polynomial equations and other mathematical structures in a more systematic and comprehensive way. They also have applications in cryptography and coding theory.

4. How are finite extensions related to the concept of algebraic numbers?

Finite extensions are closely related to algebraic numbers, which are numbers that can be expressed as a root of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients. In fact, finite extensions are often used to construct algebraic numbers by adjoining them to the original field.

5. Can you provide an example of a finite extension?

One example of a finite extension is the extension of the rational numbers by adjoining the square root of 2. This creates a new field known as the field of algebraic numbers, which contains the rational numbers and all numbers that can be expressed as a root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients.