Finite Binomial Sum: Proving 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n

In summary, a finite binomial sum is a mathematical expression that involves adding a finite number of terms, each with the form 1/n where n is a positive integer. The expression 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n represents the sum of all these fractions, with each fraction's denominator increasing by 1. Proving the finite binomial sum is important to understand its properties and applications in various fields of science. There are different methods to prove it, such as mathematical induction and the Euler-Maclaurin formula. The value of the finite binomial sum, also known as the harmonic series, has no finite value as n approaches infinity, making it significant in the study of infinite series
DreamWeaver
Show that

\(\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{j=n}\binom{n}{j} \frac{(-1)^{j+1}}{j} = 1 +\frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{3} + \cdots +\frac{1}{n}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A small hint
- is missing :eek:

lfdahl said:
A small hint
- is missing :eek:

Really sorry, Ifdahl!
Keep thinking I'll have time, and then I'm unexpectedly busy... Bad mammal! :eek::eek::eek:

Sorry...

Nice question. I think I know how to approach it. I'll write the solution later.

$$\sum_{j=0}^n {n \choose j}(-x)^j=(1-x)^n
$$

$$\sum_{j=1}^n {n \choose j}(-1)^{j}x^{j-1}=\frac{(1-x)^n-1}{x}
=-\sum^n_{j=1}(1-x)^{j-1}$$

$$\int^1_0\sum_{j=1}^n {n \choose j}(-1)^{j}x^{j-1}dx=-\sum^n_{j=1}\int^1_0(1-x)^{j-1}dx=-\sum^n_{j=1}\frac{1}{j}$$
$$\sum_{j=1}^n {n \choose j}\frac{(-1)^{j+1}}{j}=H_n$$

Last edited:
DreamWeaver said:
Show that

\(\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{j=n}\binom{n}{j} \frac{(-1)^{j+1}}{j} = 1 +\frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{3} + \cdots +\frac{1}{n}---(1)\)
to prove (1)we can also use the method of induction
it is easy to show that (1) is true when n=1,2,3--
suppose (1) is true as n=m ,now we need to prove :
\(\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{j=m+1}\binom{m+1}{j} \frac{(-1)^{j+1}}{j} = 1 +\frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{3} + \cdots +\frac{1}{m+1}---(2)\)
the proof of (2):
we use the formula :

\(\displaystyle \binom{m+1}{j} =\binom{m}{j}+\binom{m}{m+1-j} \)

and the rest is not hard (many terms can be canceled)
now it is too late , I am going to sleep ,hope someone can finish it

Related to Finite Binomial Sum: Proving 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n

1. What is a finite binomial sum?

A finite binomial sum is a mathematical expression that involves the addition of a finite number of terms, where each term is a fraction with the form 1/n, where n is a positive integer.

2. What does the expression 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n mean?

This expression represents the sum of all the fractions from 1 to n, with each fraction having a denominator that increases by 1. For example, if n = 5, the expression would be 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5.

3. Why is it important to prove the finite binomial sum?

Proving the finite binomial sum allows us to understand the behavior and properties of this mathematical expression. It also has practical applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How do you prove the finite binomial sum?

There are various methods to prove the finite binomial sum, including mathematical induction, telescoping series, and using the Euler-Maclaurin formula. Each method involves using different mathematical concepts and techniques to arrive at the desired proof.

5. What is the significance of the value of the finite binomial sum?

The value of the finite binomial sum, also known as the harmonic series, has been a topic of interest for mathematicians for centuries. It has been proven that as n approaches infinity, the sum diverges, meaning it has no finite value. This has implications in the study of infinite series and the concept of infinity in mathematics.