Finding x in Logarithmic Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter hola1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for x in the equation log2 (2^(x-1)+3^(x+1)) = 2x - log2 (3^x) and the steps involved in reaching the solution of x = -1.70951. There is a debate about the most efficient way to solve the equation, but ultimately numerical methods are needed to find the solution.
hola1
Hi, sorry if it's not in the right subforum. idk how to solve x:
http://puu.sh/2Lbb1.png
The answer is x = -1.70951.
how do we get there? please explain everystep. thanks :3

****someone made it this far, idk if it is the correct path:
log2 (2^(x-1)+3^(x+1)) = 2x - log2 (3^x)
log2 (2^(x-1)+3^(x+1)) + log2 (3^x) = 2x
because of the rule log(m) + log(n) = log(mn),
log2 ((2^(x-1)+3^(x+1))*(3^x) = 2x
log2 ((2^(x-1)+3^(x+1))*(3^x) = 2x
log ((2^(x-1)+3^(x+1))*(3^x) / log 2 = 2x
log ((2^(x-1)+3^(x+1))*(3^x) = 2x * log 2
log ((2^(x-1)+3^(x+1))*(3^x) = log 2^(2x)
equate the logs
(2^(x-1) + 3^(x+1))*(3^x) = 2^(2x)
2^(x-1) * 3^x + 3^(2x+1) = 2^(2x)
3^(2x+1) = 2^(2x) - 2^(x-1) * 3^x

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: logarithm

Seems like kind of a struggle, but you are getting good practice playing with the logarithms.

I might do this:

[tex]\log_{2}\left(2^{x-1}+3^{x+1}\right) = 2x - \log_{2}\left(3^{x}\right) = \log_{2}\left(2^{2x}\right)- \log_{2}\left(3^{x}\right) = \log_{2}\left(\dfrac{2^{2x}}{3^{x}}\right)[/tex]

This leads a little more quickly to a version with no logs which may not be as useful as you think.

[tex]2^{x-1} + 3^{x+1} = 2^{2x}\cdot 3^{-x} = \left(\dfrac{4}{3}\right)^{x}[/tex]

There is no way to solve that, so you are really left with numerical methods, which probably causes you to reintroduce the logarithms.

Can you take it from there?

I get x = -1.70951129135145, which certainly agrees with your given solution.

Last edited:

Related to Finding x in Logarithmic Equation

1. How do you solve a logarithmic equation to find x?

To solve a logarithmic equation and find x, you need to first isolate the logarithmic term on one side of the equation. Then, use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in exponential form. From there, you can solve for x using basic algebraic principles.

2. What are the properties of logarithms that can help me find x?

There are three main properties of logarithms that are useful in solving equations: the product rule, the quotient rule, and the power rule. These properties allow you to manipulate logarithmic expressions and simplify them in order to solve for x.

3. Can I use a calculator to find x in a logarithmic equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the value of x in a logarithmic equation. Most scientific calculators have a logarithm function that you can use to input the equation and solve for x. However, it is important to understand the principles behind solving logarithmic equations rather than relying solely on a calculator.

4. Are there any restrictions when solving a logarithmic equation for x?

Yes, there are a few restrictions to keep in mind when solving a logarithmic equation for x. The argument of a logarithm (the number inside the parentheses) must be positive, so any solutions that result in a negative argument are invalid. Additionally, the base of a logarithm cannot be equal to 1.

5. What should I do if I cannot isolate the logarithmic term in the equation?

If you are unable to isolate the logarithmic term in the equation, you may need to use logarithmic identities to rewrite the equation in a different form. You can also try manipulating the equation using algebraic principles to get the logarithmic term by itself. If all else fails, you can use a graphing calculator to estimate the value of x.