Finding whether two lines intersect each other in 3dimensional space

• Thread starter hangainlover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines Space
In summary: If not, the lines do not intersect.In summary, the two lines (x,y,z) = (5+2t, 3+2t,1-t) and (x,y,z) = (13-3r, 13-4r, 4-2r) may intersect if the values of t and r are such that the equations are satisfied. If they do intersect, the point of intersection would be (7, 5, 0). If the equations are not satisfied, the lines do not intersect. To check if the equations are satisfied, one can solve for t and r and substitute them back into the equations, and if they are satisfied, the lines intersect.
hangainlover

Homework Statement

do the lines (x,y,z) = (5+2t, 3+2t,1-t) and (x,y,z) = (13-3r, 13-4r, 4-2r) intersect? If so, at what point? If not, how do we know?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just do not know where to begin...
I mean what do you do with the variables t and r.
Do those values constanly change?
If you want to direct me to some useful information to help me understand this concept.. feel free to do so

Physics news on Phys.org
If they do intersect, then the x component of the first line must equal the x component of the second line, and similar for the y and z components.

So, perhaps you should set the equations equal to each other...

does this mean
5+2t=13-3r
3+2t=13-4r
1-t=4-2r ?
oh i guess when t=1 and r=2, those two lines intersect each other

Yes, it happens that when t= 1 and t= 2, all three equations are satisfied. And you can do more. By putting t= 1 into the equations for that line or by putting r= 2 into the equations for the second line, you get x= 5+2= 7, y= 3+ 2= 5, and z= 1-t= 0 or, equivalently, 13- 6= 7, y= 13- 8= 5, 4- 4= 0 so the two lines intersect at (7, 5, 0).

Of course, in three dimensions, "most" lines do NOT intersect. You could always solve two of the equations, say, the x and y equations, for s and t. But then you would have to check in the z equation to see if that also was satisfied.

Related to Finding whether two lines intersect each other in 3dimensional space

1. How can I determine if two lines intersect in 3D space?

In order to determine if two lines intersect in 3D space, you will need to find the parametric equations of both lines. Then, set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the variables. If there is a solution, the lines intersect at that point.

2. Can two lines intersect at more than one point in 3D space?

Yes, it is possible for two lines to intersect at more than one point in 3D space. This can occur if the lines are not parallel and are not contained within the same plane.

3. How do I know if two lines are parallel in 3D space?

If the direction vectors of the two lines are parallel, then the lines are parallel. This means that the direction vector of one line is a scalar multiple of the other line's direction vector.

4. Can two lines intersect if they are both contained within the same plane in 3D space?

No, two lines cannot intersect if they are both contained within the same plane in 3D space. This is because two lines that are contained within the same plane are either parallel or the same line.

5. What is the significance of finding whether two lines intersect in 3D space?

Finding whether two lines intersect in 3D space can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can help determine if objects in 3D space will collide or intersect, and can inform the design of structures and simulations.