Finding wave frequency by using a strobe

In summary, the conversation discusses finding wave frequency using a strobe and the "frozen" properties method. The speaker mentions that this method may be inaccurate and suggests finding the wavelength and velocity instead. They also mention using a ruler and measuring distance traveled to find velocity, but note that the equipment and type of wave being studied would impact the accuracy of this method.
primarygun
I've learned about finding wave frequency by using a strobe.
The book suggest that we first find out the frequency by the "frozen" properties.
I think this method is rather inaccurate.
If I am carrying out the experiment, I would first find the wavelength and the velocity. Do you ?

Physics news on Phys.org
HOW would you go about finding the wavelength and velocity?

Yes, depending on the situation, using the rather primitive apparatus I suspect you are using (when I first did this we used a disk with a hole turned by hand!) but I don't see any simple way of finding the wavelength and velocity- what equipment do you have?

A ruler to measure the distance between two crests when it is frozen,
Measure distance traveled in a given time to find out the velocity.

To see if that is more reasonable, we would have to know exactly what equipment you are working with and what kind of wave you have. A strobe light in a darkened room illuminating a wave in a string?

Related to Finding wave frequency by using a strobe

What is a strobe?

A strobe is a device that produces a bright, flashing light at regular intervals. It is commonly used in photography, but it can also be used in science experiments to capture the motion of a fast-moving object by freezing it in individual frames.

How does a strobe help in finding wave frequency?

By adjusting the frequency of the strobe's flashes, it is possible to match it with the frequency of a wave. When this happens, the wave appears to be frozen in place, allowing for an accurate measurement of its frequency.

What is the relationship between strobe frequency and wave frequency?

The strobe frequency and wave frequency are directly proportional. This means that if the strobe frequency is increased, the apparent frequency of the wave also increases. Similarly, decreasing the strobe frequency will result in a decrease in the apparent frequency of the wave.

Can a strobe be used to find the frequency of any type of wave?

Yes, a strobe can be used to find the frequency of any type of wave as long as the wave is periodic and its frequency falls within the range of the strobe's frequency settings.

Are there any limitations to using a strobe to find wave frequency?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using a strobe to find wave frequency. One limitation is that the wave being measured must be traveling in a straight line. Additionally, the strobe frequency must be set precisely to match the wave frequency, otherwise the measurement will be inaccurate. Lastly, the amplitude of the wave can affect the accuracy of the measurement, as a larger amplitude may appear to have a higher frequency than it actually does.