Finding volumes by rotating around an axis of revolution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a sphere with a given radius and center by revolving a circle around a given line. The steps include using integrals to find the volume and using substitutions and trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. The final answer should be 25pi^2 + 499.89pi/3, but there seems to be some confusion about the exact answer and the correct use of variables.
Sidthewall
1. Homework Statement

k so here is the equation i need help with that will find me the volume of a sphere
2*pi*y*sqrt(25-(y-1)^2) dy - 5*pi from 0 to 6

the 5 pi is the volume of a cylinder

2. Steps
so first i subbed u=y-1
took the 2 pi out of the integral
that got me 2 integrals u*sqrt(25-(u)^2) du + sqrt(25-(u)^2) du
the first integral = (2*pi*24^(3/2))/3

the second i used a trig sub and my final answer is
(25pi^2)/2 +
-25*asin(-.2)+sqrt(24)

3. Answer

the answer is suppose to be 25pi^2 + 500pi/3

i got 25pi^2 + (-75*asin(-.2)+3*sqrt(24)+2*(24)^(3/2) -15)/3
which is approx
25pi^2 + 499.89pi/3

how do i get the exact answer

Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to find the volume of a sphere of radius 5 with center at (0, 1, 0)? Projected onto a x, y plane, gives the circle [itex]x^2+ (y- 1)^2= 25[/itex] and taking only the right half-plane, [itex]x= \sqrt{25- (y-1)^2}[/itex]. That is the figure being rotated around the line y= 1.

And, from the way you are doing this, I take it you are using "cylinders" (I would have been inclined to use disks). Each "cylinder" of radius y has length
[tex]\sqrt{25- (y- 1)^2}- (-\sqrt{25- (y-1)^2})= 2\sqrt{25- (y- 1)^2}[/tex]

and so surface area [itex]\pi r^2h= \pi (y- 1)^2(2\sqrt{25- (y-1)^2})[/itex]. With "thickness" dy, each cylinder will have volume [itex]2\pi (y- 1)^2\sqrt{25- (y-1)^2} dy[/itex] so the volume of the entire sphere will be the integral, as y goes from 1 to 1+ 5= 6,
[tex]2\pi \int_1^6 (y- 1)^2\sqrt{25- (y- 1)^2}dy[/tex]

A good first step, just as you say, would to be let u= y- 1 so that du= dy, when y= 1, u= 0, when y= 6, u= 5 and the integral becomes
[tex]2\pi\int_0^5 u^2\sqrt{25- u^2}du[/tex]

Yes, you can let [itex]u= 5sin(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]du= 5 cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{25- u^2}= \sqrt{25- 25sin^2(\theta)}= 5\sqrt{cos^2(\theta)}= 5 cos(\theta)[/itex]. Further, when u= 0, [itex]5sin(\theta)= 0[/itex] so [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] and when [itex]u= 5[/itex], [itex]5 sin(\theta)= 5[/itex] so [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex].

The integral becomes
[tex]2\pi\int_0^{\pi/2}(25 sin^2(\theta))(5 cos(\theta))(5 cos(\theta))d\theta[/itex]

I do not know why you are using "y" outside the square root rather than "y- 1" nor do I see why it is not squared. I had to guess at what you really intended since you did not say what the radius or center of the sphere were. I also do not know why you subtracted [itex]5\pi[/itex], the "volume of a cylinder" when you said you were finding the volume of a sphere.

no no... sorry the circle is being revolved around the x-axis and y2= 1 which is why so the 5pi exists because i am subtracting the volume from y2

oh and yes amd the question asked me to revolve the circle around the x-axis in terms of y, which is longer by the way.

[tex]
2\pi \int_0^6 y\sqrt{25- (y- 1)^2}dy + 5\pi
[/tex]

that's the integral I want solved and the answer i got is (25pi^2)/2 + (500*pi)/3 intstead of 25pi^2 + 499.89pi/3

Related to Finding volumes by rotating around an axis of revolution

What is the concept of finding volumes by rotating around an axis of revolution?

The concept involves calculating the volume of a three-dimensional shape by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis of revolution. This is often used in calculus to find volumes of irregularly shaped objects.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The formula is V = ∫(πr^2)dx, where r is the distance from the axis of revolution to the edge of the shape and dx is the small change in the axis of revolution.

What are some common shapes that can be used to rotate around an axis of revolution?

Some common shapes used include circles, rectangles, triangles, and semi-circles. These shapes can be rotated around a horizontal or vertical axis to create a solid of revolution.

How does the choice of axis of revolution affect the volume of the solid?

The axis of revolution determines the shape of the solid and can greatly affect the volume. For example, rotating a semi-circle around a horizontal axis will create a sphere, while rotating it around a vertical axis will create a cylinder.

What are some real-life applications of finding volumes by rotating around an axis of revolution?

This concept is frequently used in engineering and architecture to calculate the volume of objects such as pipes, tunnels, and bridges. It is also used in physics to find the moment of inertia of rotating objects.