Finding Volume of Solid w/ Semicircular Cross-Sections

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid with a base bounded by a function, the x-axis, and a given line, and cross-sections that are semicircles. The suggested approach is to break the region into small dx pieces and sum them using an integral. However, due to the lack of a formula for the function, this approach may not work. Alternative methods, such as using midpoint or Simpson's rule, are suggested.
IntegrateMe
x 0 0.5 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0

f(x) 2 1.3 0.9 0.6 0.7 1.1 1.9

Find a formula for the volume V of the solid whose base is the region bounded by y = f(x), the x-axis, and the line x = 3 and its cross-sections perpendicular to the x-axis are semicircles.**

So, I plotted the points and got a graph that looks something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/AiFo6.jpg

Now to start on actually solving the problem.

So I figure that we should break the region up into a small dx pieces, and just sum up all of these pieces using an integral.

However, I'm having trouble figuring our what the area of each piece will be. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
IntegrateMe said:

Find a formula for the volume V of the solid whose base is the region bounded by y = f(x), the x-axis, and the line x = 3 and its cross-sections perpendicular to the x-axis are semicircles.**

So I figure that we should break the region up into a small dx pieces, and just sum up all of these pieces using an integral.

However, I'm having trouble figuring our what the area of each piece will be. Any help?

I'm guessing you don't understand exactly what the solid looks like. The region you have drawn is the base of the solid. Think of it as the floor. The solid itself stands on that base and has semicircular cross sections. Can you figure out the area of the cross sections at the given points? How do you calculate an integral with only finitely many points?

IntegrateMe said:

Yes and no. Yes to break up the region into small rectangular pieces of width Δx, and no to summing up the pieces using an integral. You don't have a formula for your function, so you aren't going to be able to find an antiderivative.
IntegrateMe said:

Are you asking about area or volume? You're going to have to add up the volumes of few semicircular slices. The volume of each of these slices will be the area of one semicircular face, times Δx.

The best approximation for the base rectangles will probably be to use the midpoint for each subinterval. You can interpolate a function value by averaging the function values at each end of that subinterval. That's what I would do.

Mark44 said:
The best approximation for the base rectangles will probably be to use the midpoint for each subinterval. You can interpolate a function value by averaging the function values at each end of that subinterval. That's what I would do.

Or perhaps Simpson's rule?

Related to Finding Volume of Solid w/ Semicircular Cross-Sections

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid with semicircular cross-sections?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid with semicircular cross-sections is V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the semicircle and h is the height of the solid.

2. How do you determine the radius and height of a solid with semicircular cross-sections?

To determine the radius and height of a solid with semicircular cross-sections, you will need to have a clear understanding of the shape and dimensions of the solid. The radius can be found by measuring the diameter of the semicircle and dividing it by 2. The height can be measured directly or calculated using other known measurements.

3. Can the volume of a solid with semicircular cross-sections be calculated using a different formula?

Yes, there are multiple ways to calculate the volume of a solid with semicircular cross-sections. Another common formula is V = (2/3)πr³h, which is used when the semicircular cross-sections are stacked on top of each other.

4. What units should be used when finding the volume of a solid with semicircular cross-sections?

The units used for volume will depend on the units used for the measurements of the radius and height of the solid. For example, if the radius is measured in centimeters and the height is measured in meters, the volume will be in cubic meters (m³).

5. Are there any real-world examples of solids with semicircular cross-sections?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of solids with semicircular cross-sections. One common example is a cylindrical water tank, where the top and bottom of the tank have semicircular cross-sections. Another example is a silo used for storing grains, which can also have a semicircular cross-section.