Finding Volume of Solid in First Octant with Bounded Polar Equations

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a solid bounded by three equations in the first octant. The equations are r=1+cos∅, z=y, and z=0. The solution involves converting the z equations into polar coordinates and integrating using the formula V=\int\int rdrd∅. The limits for ∅ are x ≥ 0 and y ≥ 0. The use of cylindrical or spherical coordinates is also a consideration.
andromeda92

Homework Statement

find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the given equations:

r=1+cos∅
z=y
z=0
(the first octant)

Homework Equations

V=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] rdrd∅

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've been having trouble deciding what to integrate from and to. I converted the z equations into polar coordinates, so, z=rsin and z=0

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1+cos∅}_{0}[/itex] (rsin)rdrd∅

Mod note: revised LaTeX
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1 + cos(\theta)} rsin(\theta) r~dr~d\theta[/tex]

I found, from the first integration, [2∏]\int[/0][itex] r^(3)sin∅/3 d∅ and I need to plug in (1+cos∅) and 0 for r...but, this seems WAY too complicated having a trig function to the 3rd power.

I'm not even sure if I have the beginning correct. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In three dimensions, the first quadrant has x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0, z ≥ 0, and think about the limits of ∅ for x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0.

Think about this - http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=polar+plot+r=1+cos+theta (don't worry about the angle being theta)

And do you want to use cylindrical or spherical coordinates?

Last edited:

Related to Finding Volume of Solid in First Octant with Bounded Polar Equations

1. How do you find the volume of a solid?

To find the volume of a solid, you need to use a specific formula depending on the shape of the solid. For example, the formula for finding the volume of a cube is side x side x side, while the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is π x radius^2 x height. Once you have the correct formula, plug in the given measurements and solve for the volume.

2. What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The most common unit of measurement for volume is cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm^3) or cubic meters (m^3). However, the unit of measurement may differ depending on the context and the units of the given measurements. It is important to always include the correct unit when stating the volume of a solid.

3. Can you find the volume of an irregularly shaped solid?

Yes, the volume of an irregularly shaped solid can still be found by using the formula for its closest regular shape and adjusting for any missing or extra space. For example, the volume of an irregularly shaped rock can be found by using the formula for a sphere and subtracting any hollow spaces within the rock.

4. What is the difference between volume and surface area?

Volume refers to the amount of space occupied by a solid, while surface area refers to the total area of the outer surface of the solid. In other words, volume is the measure of how much a solid can hold, while surface area is the measure of how much material is needed to cover the solid's surface.

5. How is finding the volume of a solid useful?

Finding the volume of a solid is useful in many fields of science, such as engineering, architecture, and chemistry. It allows us to accurately measure and compare the sizes of different objects, as well as calculate the amount of material needed to fill a space. Additionally, the volume of a solid can also be used to determine its density, which is an important property in many scientific experiments and applications.