Finding Volume of Rotated Solid: Disk Method

In summary, the homework statement is to find the volume of a solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about y=10. The Attempt at a Solution provides an easy way to set up the picture, but the student is having trouble knowing HOW to find the radius.
xibalba1

Homework Statement

Consider the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about y=10

Find the volume V of this solid using DISK METHOD

Homework Equations

y=5e^-x, y=5, x=4

The Attempt at a Solution

setting up the picture easy. but I'm having trouble knowing HOW to find the radius. any help would be cool. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
draw a horizontal line from y=10, then draw a vertical line down & see where it intersects the region, the radius is the vertical disatnce from y=10 to the point in your region

from that you should find an innner (ri) & outer (r0) radius, that may be both be functions of x.

then set up the integral over x

corrected above after drawing it

Okay, I think I know what you are saying. so far I got pitimes the integral from 0 to 4 of [(10-5e^(-x)]^2 -(5)^2 dx

what do you think

xibalba1 said:
Okay, I think I know what you are saying. so far I got pitimes the integral from 0 to 4 of [(10-5e^(-x)]^2 -(5)^2 dx

what do you think

Yep, that's it!

Dude man, I keep getting the wrong answer, or at least www.webassign.net tells me so. SO...the problem must lie within my algebra.

I freaking hate webassign.net. You do all this work by setting up the problem, doing the calculus, etc, but it aint worth crap because you get the final answer incorrect. B.S. man, you know what I mean?

By the way, www.webassign.net is my MANDATORY online homework I have to do. No TEXT BOOK problems were assigned this semester. They're all on webassign. Argh.

[tex] V = \pi \int_0^4 \left[ (100 - 100e^{-x} + 25e^{-2x}) - 25 \right] dx [/tex]

[tex] = \pi \int_0^4 25e^{-x}(e^{-x} - 4)dx \ + \ 75\pi x|_0^4 [/tex]

Let [tex] u = e^{-x} - 4 \ \Rightarrow \ du = -e^{-x}dx. [/tex]

So [tex] V = 300\pi - 25 \pi \int u du [/tex]

[tex] = 300\pi - 25 \pi \left( \frac{(e^{-x} - 4)^2}{2} \right) \right|_0^4. [/tex]

Does that help?

Related to Finding Volume of Rotated Solid: Disk Method

1. What is the disk method and how is it used to find the volume of a rotated solid?

The disk method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a three-dimensional solid that has been rotated around a specific axis. This method involves dividing the solid into infinitely thin disks and then calculating the sum of their volumes to find the total volume of the solid.

2. When can the disk method be applied to find the volume of a rotated solid?

The disk method can be applied to any solid that can be represented as a function of x or y, and has a known axis of rotation. This includes solids with circular, elliptical, or parabolic cross-sections.

3. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a disk using the disk method?

The formula for calculating the volume of a disk using the disk method is V = π * (r^2) * dx or V = π * (r^2) * dy, where r is the radius of the disk and dx or dy is the thickness of the disk.

4. Can the disk method be used to find the volume of a solid with a non-uniform cross-section?

Yes, the disk method can still be used to find the volume of a solid with a non-uniform cross-section. However, the cross-sectional area must be known and the disks must be divided into smaller sections in order to accurately calculate the volume.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the disk method to find volume?

One common mistake when using the disk method is forgetting to square the radius of the disk. Another mistake is using the wrong axis of rotation when setting up the integral. It is important to carefully identify and understand the solid and its axis of rotation before attempting to apply the disk method.