Finding Voltage in RLC circuit

In summary, the conversation is about approaching a question involving finding XL and XC and calculating voltage and current at points C and D. The speaker suggests using Thevenin source transformations or writing out KVL and KCL equations to solve the problem. They also mention simplifying the circuit by performing a source transformation and using a single node voltage equation with phasors. The current through C is the same as the current through R2 as they are in series. Finally, the speaker advises using KVL to calculate the branch currents and voltage drops at either Vo, R2, and L or Vo, C, and R3.
xporten
Homework Statement
I need to find V0
Relevant Equations
Vs=14.14cos(100t)V
Hi
i want to know just how to approach this question.
i know the omega=100 then should i find XL and XC? and then find the voltage in points c and d?
also how do i find the current that enters point c?
142753.png

thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about the Thevenin source transformations? That's where I'd start. The other (harder) approach is to write out the KVL and KCL equations and solve them. Yes you will need Xl and Xc.

Likes berkeman
I would start by doing a source transformation of Vs(t) in series with the 5 ohm resistor and make that into a Vs(t)/5 current with a parallel 5 ohm resistor. This now puts everything in that circuit in parallel simplifying it considerably. I hope you realize that the branch containing R2 and C is in parallel with the branch containing L and R3 and they are all in parallel with Ix. AT that point just do a single node voltage equation with phasors. That will give you the currents and voltages in all the branches. (The current through C is the same as the current through R2 as they are in series, BTW) Once you have the branch currents and voltage drops just do a KVL around either Vo, R2 and L or Vo C and R3.

Related to Finding Voltage in RLC circuit

1. How do you calculate the voltage in an RLC circuit?

To calculate the voltage in an RLC circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (ΣV=0) to find the voltage across each component. You can also use the impedance formula (Z=√(R²+(Xl-Xc)²)) to find the total impedance of the circuit and then use Ohm's Law to find the voltage.

2. What factors affect the voltage in an RLC circuit?

The voltage in an RLC circuit is affected by the resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the circuit components. It is also influenced by the frequency of the input voltage and the phase difference between the current and voltage.

3. How does the voltage change in a series RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, the voltage across each component is equal to the input voltage. However, the voltage across the resistor will always be greater than the voltage across the inductor and capacitor due to the phase difference between the current and voltage.

4. What is the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. At this frequency, the voltage across the circuit is at its maximum value.

5. How can you measure the voltage in an RLC circuit?

The voltage in an RLC circuit can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel to the component or across the input and output terminals of the circuit. It is important to note that the voltmeter itself will have some resistance, which can affect the voltage readings and should be taken into account during calculations.