AC Source driving an RLC circuit....

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of current and voltage in a circuit with a 10 ohm resistor, 10 ohm inductive reactance, and 10 ohm capacitive reactance in series. The current is determined to be 10 A and the voltage across the capacitor is calculated to be -10j V.
jojo13

Homework Statement

10 v, 100 hz goes into a circuit of a 1o resistor, a 1o inductive reactance and a 1o capacitive reactance that are in series.

What is the current. What is the V across the cap.

Homework Equations

and the attempt at a solution[/B]

So I know I = V/Z and Z = sqrt( R^2 + (XL^2 - XC^2 )

And the question gives us the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance which is XL = 1 and XC = 1, and it gives us R = 1

So now, Z = sqrt(1^2 + (1^2 - 1^2 ) ) = 1

And I = V/Z = 10/1 = 10 A

Is that correct for the current of the circuit? If so, how do I calculate the voltage across the capacitor?

Is it voltage of capacitor, Vc = I * XC = 10 * 1 = 10 V ? Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is the correct value of the current.

and the voltage across the capacitor is almost correct.

Revisit your XL and XC. Isn't there a "j" in the reactance?

magoo said:
Yes, that is the correct value of the current.

and the voltage across the capacitor is almost correct.

Revisit your XL and XC. Isn't there a "j" in the reactance?

Ah, would it be, Vc = I * Zc = 10 * (1/j) = 10/j = -10j

Now it is correct. Nice work!

Likes jojo13
magoo said:
Now it is correct. Nice work!

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, you've got it right.

Likes jojo13

Related to AC Source driving an RLC circuit....

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or in parallel and are used to control the flow of electrical current in a circuit.

2. How does an AC source drive an RLC circuit?

An AC source, such as an alternating current (AC) power supply, provides a continuous changing voltage to the RLC circuit. This voltage causes the capacitor and inductor to alternatively store and release energy, resulting in an oscillating current in the circuit.

3. What is the resonance frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal, resulting in a maximum current in the circuit. It is calculated using the formula fr = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

4. How does the resistance affect an RLC circuit?

The resistance (R) in an RLC circuit affects the rate at which energy is dissipated in the circuit. A higher resistance will result in a faster dissipation of energy, while a lower resistance will allow more energy to be stored in the circuit. This can affect the amplitude and phase of the current in the circuit.

5. What is the phase difference between the voltage and current in an RLC circuit?

The phase difference between the voltage and current in an RLC circuit depends on the frequency of the AC source. At the resonance frequency, the phase difference is 0, meaning the voltage and current are in phase. At other frequencies, the phase difference can vary and be either leading or lagging, depending on the values of the components in the circuit.