Finding Voltage Gain: Help with Homework

In summary: Darlington.In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation that relates an internal voltage to component values and independent sources. He is close to solving the equation, but needs to pay attention to a model that will become more important later on.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

ee9b9a382f.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to figure out the answer. Apparently, the right method involves saying that Vs is actually equal to the voltage Vgs + voltage across R1. I don't understand how Vs could be voltage across R1?
This is what I have so far
a5e972b8b2.png

I think the first two bullet points that I wrote are correct but 99% sure that the circuit transformation I did is completely wrong.

Attachments

• ee9b9a382f.png
    ee9b9a382f.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 803
  • a5e972b8b2.png
    a5e972b8b2.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't call Rs a short circuit just because there is no current through it!

Vs = voltage across Rs + Vgs + voltage across R1
because these voltages are in series between the point where the potential is Vs and the point where the potential is zero volts (ground)

Likes CoolDude420
NascentOxygen said:
I wouldn't call Rs a short circuit just because there is no current through it!

Vs = voltage across Rs + Vgs + voltage across R1
because these voltages are in series between the point where the potential is Vs and the point where the potential is zero volts (ground)

Oh. I see. So you're sort of looking at it like this. And that's how u found out what Vs breaks down into

ea42108fbd.png

Arrow doesn't mean current.

Attachments

• ea42108fbd.png
    ea42108fbd.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 389
Yes. For every path traced between 2 nominated points, the total potential will be equal.

NascentOxygen said:
Yes. For every path traced between 2 nominated points, the total potential will be equal.
Great! Thank you very much. I think I should be able to get it from here.

NascentOxygen said:

I take that statement back. I'm stil stuck :(
b551abc9b3.png

I just went in a full circle back to the equation I started with...

Attachments

• b551abc9b3.png
    b551abc9b3.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 411
Express VR1 in terms of the current through R1.

NascentOxygen said:
Express VR1 in terms of the current through it.
c39867768b.png

Attachments

• c39867768b.png
    c39867768b.png
    50 KB · Views: 369
I suggest you go back just one step.

You have a dependent source (gmVgs) that relies on an internal voltage (vgs). you need to relate that internal voltage to component values and independent sources.

Write out the expression as Vgs =? as a function of Vs, gm, R1, and constants.

Once you get that expresion, you already stated that the output is -gmVgsR2, you should be able to solve for your transfer function Vo/Vs. You're very close

Also just a note, pay attention to this model, it will become more important as you learn more about circuitry. It is the small signal model for a type of transistor, a MOSFET

Related to Finding Voltage Gain: Help with Homework

What is voltage gain?

Voltage gain is a measure of the amplification of an electrical signal. It is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage and is expressed as a unitless quantity or in decibels (dB).

How do you calculate voltage gain?

Voltage gain can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. For example, if the output voltage is 10V and the input voltage is 5V, the voltage gain would be 10V/5V = 2 or 6dB.

What factors affect voltage gain?

There are several factors that can affect voltage gain, including the type and quality of the amplifier, the impedance of the circuit, and any external interference or noise.

What are some common methods for finding voltage gain?

The most common methods for finding voltage gain include using a multimeter to measure the input and output voltages, using a oscilloscope to visualize the signal, and using mathematical equations such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws.

What are some tips for troubleshooting voltage gain issues?

If you are having trouble finding voltage gain, some tips to consider include checking the connections and components in the circuit, adjusting the amplifier settings, and using different methods for measuring the input and output voltages. It may also be helpful to consult a textbook or seek assistance from a knowledgeable individual.