Finding vertical velocity at highest point in trajectory

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the vertical and horizontal components of a polo ball's release velocity when hit at an angle of 33 degrees upwards from the horizontal. The vertical component is determined to be 16.34 m/s, potentially with a negative value due to the ball falling to the ground. The horizontal component is calculated to be 25.16 m/s. There is a debate about whether to use the vertical or release velocity to find the ball's highest point in trajectory, with the question of what condition defines the highest point being raised.
honey.s
Hey ya'll ... I just need clarification on this solution. Is it correct in me saying the vertical component is negative as the ball is falling to the ground? Also, I was unsure whether to use the vertical velocity or release velocity in finding the highest point of trajectory

Q: A polo ball is hit from the ground at an angle of 33 degrees upwards from the horizontal. If it has a release velocity of 30 m/s and lands on the ground, calculate the vertical and horizontal components of its release velocity and provide these answers in the answer boxes provided.

(i) What are the vertical and horizontal components?

sin33= x/30

vertical component = 16.34 (should this be negative because the ball is falling down??)

cos33= y/30

Horizontal component = 25.16

(ii)What will be the vertical velocity of the ball be at the highest point in its trajectory.

s=Final velocity - initial velocity / 2a

s= 0-(16.34)^2 / 2(9.8)

=13.6 (is it correct in me using the vertical velocity as opposed to release velocity?)

Thankyou in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ball at its highest point has a positive velocity, then what prevents it from being a little higher than the "highest" a little bit later?

If I use the release velocity, then s= 0- (30)^2 / 2 (9.8), and therefore the answer is 45.9 and at its highest. That was my initial thought, but the next question asks for the horizontal velocity of the ball at its highest point, and that's why I thought we had to use vertical and horizontal velocity respectively..

You got an even higher value for vertical velocity at the apex. My argument in #2 applies.

You should think about what condition defines the highest point of the trajectory. Where is the projectile going just before the highest point, and where is it going after?

I would like to clarify that the vertical component of the release velocity should be negative, as the ball is moving downward in that direction. It is also important to note that the vertical velocity at the highest point in the trajectory will be zero, as the ball reaches its maximum height and begins to fall back to the ground. Therefore, the calculations for the vertical velocity at the highest point in the trajectory should be based on the initial vertical velocity or the release velocity, not the final velocity. The equation used to calculate the vertical velocity at the highest point should be v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time it takes for the ball to reach the highest point. I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps with your calculations.

Related to Finding vertical velocity at highest point in trajectory

1. How do you calculate the vertical velocity at the highest point in a trajectory?

To calculate the vertical velocity at the highest point in a trajectory, you will need to determine the initial vertical velocity (the velocity at the launch or starting point), the acceleration due to gravity, and the time it takes for the object to reach the highest point. Once you have these values, you can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plug in the values and solve for v to find the vertical velocity at the highest point.

2. How is the vertical velocity at the highest point related to the maximum height of the trajectory?

The vertical velocity at the highest point is directly related to the maximum height of the trajectory. At the highest point, the vertical velocity will be zero, as the object has reached its peak and is about to start falling back down. This means that the maximum height of the trajectory is equal to the height reached by the object when its vertical velocity is equal to zero.

3. Can the vertical velocity at the highest point be negative?

Yes, the vertical velocity at the highest point can be negative. This would occur if the object is thrown downwards, or if it reaches its highest point and then starts falling back down. The sign of the vertical velocity depends on the direction of the object's motion - positive if it is moving upwards and negative if it is moving downwards.

4. Does air resistance affect the vertical velocity at the highest point?

Air resistance does not have a significant effect on the vertical velocity at the highest point. This is because at the highest point, the object's velocity is mainly affected by gravity, and air resistance only becomes significant when the object is moving at high speeds. However, air resistance can affect the overall trajectory and the time it takes for the object to reach its highest point.

5. How does the angle of the trajectory affect the vertical velocity at the highest point?

The angle of the trajectory does not affect the vertical velocity at the highest point. This is because the vertical velocity is only dependent on the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity, not the angle at which the object is launched. However, the angle of the trajectory does affect the horizontal velocity and the overall shape of the trajectory.